Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Could be a Home Designer

Over a year ago I posted a blog that described what I want to be when I grow up.  Progress on that dream has been slow so I am now expanding the scope of my opportunities.  Last week, an educated home designer with the sheepskin to prove it, recognized my "mad skills" in that discipline, so I will exercise that opportunity. 

Over the weekend, -T and I watched the premiere of a new show on HGTV called Secrets of a Stylist.  We watched because we thought it would be about hair stylist (-T's strength), but it turned out to be home design (my strength).  I found the first episode to be pitifully weak.  I had to wonder just where the host received her credentials - maybe some third world country?  Definitely not in America.  Just look at the before and after pictures.


Before

After

My first rule of home design is this - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The before picture depicts a very nice space.  It is an example of elegant simplicity - something that should be celebrated and not changed.  While I admit the room can be improved, it did not need what the so called professional stylist did to it, which can now only be described as horribly gaudy.  We are talking Graceland African Room gaudy.  The wall color should be named Stomach Flu.

Using my mad designer skills, I would have only made a couple changes.  First, I would have gotten rid of the couch in favor of an 'L' shaped sectional complete with recliners and cup holders. 

Second change would be the placement of a 60" plasma.   That is all this room needs.  I would put my redesigned room up against the hoidy-toidy HGTV stylist anytime.  My result would be consistent.  At least 50% of the population would favor my design.

Which would you pick?

8 comments:

  1. Who are you? Designer uFrank? I don't know you anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd pick Robin's. Was that an option?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NILK - I am evolving. Try to keep up.

    NILB - That was good practice for your new life of home ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank, I'm starting to get stressed about all this design competition. Can you back off my blog topic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did it look like I was competing? I'm sorry, I'll back out of your space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evolving? Sounds like something those liberal, new age fruit cakes might say.

    Tell me it ain't so

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's Wed, where is the THAT SO RIGHT WED?

    ReplyDelete
  8. NILK - Do you have any money I can spend?

    Mrs. NILK - I am slowly backing away from Robin's space.

    ReplyDelete