Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour

Tonight between 8:30 and 9:30 PM, the clock tower at the campus I work at will be darkened in support of "Earth Hour".  They ask that "a little candlelight be the beacon that inspires you to get involved in a sustainable future for us all".  Symbology over substance.  Earth Hour is an invention by tree hugging, left wing liberal groups to make us either feel guilty for ignoring them, or if we participate, feel as if what we are doing something worthwhile.  The amount of energy saved by dimming or extinguishing your lights for 1 hour would result in a .2% reduction in our yearly energy usage, and that is if everyone fully participates.  Since hardly anyone will, the entire exercise is pointless.

This year, I will participate.  I plan to turn on my 5 flatscreen TV's for the entire hour.  I might even watch one.  My 50" plasma will be that beacon to inspire me.  My hope is to negate whatever energy savings is realized by the irrelevant action of turning the campus clock tower lights out for 1 hour.  Stupid meaningless stunts don't make a consequential difference. 

An I am not against energy conservation.  I just feel it is grossly idiotic to think that symbolism makes a difference or even helps.  This country needs an energy policy that contains major proportions of oil, natural gas and nuclear power, with thoughtful investments in alternative and renewable energy.  The country doesn't need stunts, we need intelligent thought leading to realistic policy.  And we really don't need green groups wagging their finger at us trying to shame us into conservation.  Join me tonight by making your electric meter spin.

2 comments: