Friday, July 30, 2010

I am not a smart man... but,

Today, July 30th marks the 33rd anniversary of my marriage to Terri.  What more can a man say than how blessed he is to marry the woman of his dreams?  The only words that come to mind are those spoken by my personal mentor, Forrest Gump.  I am not a smart man, but I know what love is.  Forrest and I have a lot in common.  Infatuation with a particular woman is one of them.

I once blogged about how I met and fell in love withTerri.  It was eerily similar to how Forrest proposed to Jenny. 

Forrest/Frank Gump: Will you marry me?
[Terri turns and looks at him]
Forrest/Frank Gump: I'd make a good husband, Terri.
Terri Hansen: You would, Frank.
Forrest/Frank Gump: ...But you won't marry me.
[Terry laughs]
Forrest/Frank Gump: Don't you love me, Terri?
Terri Hansen: [laughs again]
Forrest/Frank Gump: I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is.

There are many quotes from the movie that I can relate to, or describe me well.  Just like Forrest, I can be dense.  Forrest has an excuse much better than mine.

Forrest Gump: Lieutenant Dan, what are you doing here?
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: I'm here to try out my sea legs.
Forrest Gump: But you ain't got no legs, Lieutenant Dan.

Jenny Curran: His name's Forrest.
Forrest Gump: Like me.
Jenny Curran: I named him after his daddy.
Forrest Gump: He got a daddy named Forrest, too?
Jenny Curran: You're his daddy, Forrest.

Bubba: Have you ever been on a real shrimp boat?
Forrest Gump: No, but I've been on a real big boat.

Jenny Curran: Do you ever dream, Forrest, about who you're gonna be?
Forrest Gump: Who I'm gonna be?
Jenny Curran: Yeah.
Forrest Gump: Aren't-aren't I going to be me?

Thanks for the 33 years, and I love you Terri Lee.  That's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
    Thank you for being a marriage that your daughters and we can look up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. McGoo - UFrank, how in the world did YOU wind up with her?

    UFrank - It just happened

    ReplyDelete