Monday, February 28, 2011

I Like to Watch - Rapid City

Last week I stepped out on -T and did something I have never before done.  I went to movie by myself.  It almost felt naughty.  She was working a little later than normal, and whenever she works late, I will typically go to a nearby and nearly abandoned mall and walk.   I was planning to do the same this particular evening, but stopped at the eclectic movie house I pass at the entrance to the mall.  I call it an eclectic movie house because this one rarely shows high budget, new release movies.  They prefer to show the artsy-fartsy movies than win obscure awards.

I reviewed ther "now playing" list and show times and found that I had enough time to watch a movie I had not heard of named Rapid City.  So the choice became whether I wanted to walk for 90 minutes or watch a movie.  After a nanosecond of deliberation, I decided to watch a movie.

Rapid City is a low budget story of straight arrow insurance salesman from a tiny town, Brown Valley Wisconsin.  He is selected to represent his agency at a regional convention, and compete for the coveted two diamonds award.  The insurance salesman Tim Lippe is played by Ed Helms, more commonly recognized as Andy the "Nard Dog" in the TV series The Office.  The casting is perfect.  Tim has a girlfriend back home who was his grade school teacher and is played by Sigourney Weaver.

Tim flys for the first time in his life and is impressed by the opulence of the Rapid City hotel where the convention is held.  He checks into his room which is shared with another insurance agent, who informs him that as a cost cutting measure, a third agent will also share the room.  This is where the movie begins to take a Planes, Trains and Automobile flavor.  The third agent is the obnoxious John Candy character that adds plenty of comedy to the story.

The convention begins and is stereotypical of what you might imagine a small business, small town convention to be.  For example, a scavenger hunt is the centerpiece of the first days activity.  However the story evolves a bit and becomes a "what happens in Rapid City, stays in Rapid City" plot.  The straight arrow agent, Tim, walks away form his innocence for an evening or two, learns some hard lessons and gets back to his righteous ways.  In the end, the plot has redeeming qualities however this isn't an family film.

I found the movie to be very enjoyable.  It was humorous throughout, but not in a slapstick, ha-ha sort of way.  Just funny people in peculiar situations.  It is definitely an under the radar movie that was surprising in its entertainment value.  If you spend a few bucks to see it, remember to stick around for the closing credits.  I think I may step out again very soon.

2 comments:

  1. So it wasn't two eyelids closed then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm trying to remember the McGuban movie rating system. I believe it was a 1 eye open, 1 eye closed.

    ReplyDelete