Friday, February 11, 2011

Not That Guy

Yesterday, Yahoo had an interesting story about the worst valentines gifts ever given.  There were a few that even I could see why it was wrong,  I have never given Mrs. Bryant a gift so poorly chosen as a diet cookbook, frozen microwaveable pizzas, a shower curtain, a bathroom scale, or an encyclopedia.  The best "worst" valetine gift in my opinion was the dude who gave his sweety adjoining cemetery plots.  I suspect the gift was just in time too.

It's hard to imagine, but I too was once a thoughtless gift giver.  One year, I don't remember if it was for her birthday or valentines day, I gave -T a handheld vacuum cleaner.  Those who know -T's clean freak tendancies might think that was a perfect gift.  But no, it was not.  It seems that even the neatest and cleanest among us want something a little more thoughtful than a cleaning utensil.  There have also been several Valentines Days when there was no gifts given.  The "I know you know I love you" excuse doesn't get much traction on February 14th.

This year I will attempt a new approach.  I will give my bride something cheap, small, useful and thoughtful.  Why?  Because anything cheap, small, useful and thoughtful will always remind her of me.

1 comment: