Wednesday, February 23, 2011

That's So Right Wednesday

Another blogger has entered the family.  My niece Robin Kee has begun a blog titled Kee Creative.  Robin is an educated interior designer who has recently purchased a new home with her husband Brent (NILB).  I expect many interesting blogs as they renovate their first home.  Several of her blog posts provide insight into what we will soon see, so check the Kee Creative blog out.

It all looks pretty simple to me, so I'll try my hand at recognizing what goes into a good room design.  I know this will be difficult, but please remember that I have not gone to college to learn how to do this.


This room has all the right elements of what I consider to be good design.  First, it has originality.  See the hand painted tree on the far wall?  You can't buy that at Pier I. And the owner's decision to put their dining table next to that wall means they will enjoy many dinners with that relaxed outdoorsy feel. 

Next see how they pulled the "wood" motif from the tree and into the floors?  Even the fireplace says "wood" to me.  I love this consistency in design.  That takes a discipline that I wished I had.  Next, there is the leaf pattern on the chairs.  It feels as if the tree mural extends out to the furniture giving an end to end experience of wood.  I think this homeowner/designer got wood, and understands how to use it in their home.  Now, so do I.

Finally, the pink mantle.  What a bold use of color to draw attention to the predominate feature of the room!  This designer is not afraid to use lots of color and lots of pattern in one space.  This is a great example of what a shame it would be to live in a solid color room with solid color furniture accented with solid color pillows plus maybe one patterned one?

5 comments:

  1. ha ha hilarious. wit does not run thin in our family tree!

    my favorite line, "will enjoy many dinners with that relaxed outdoorsy feel."

    ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how they have designed the stairs so that you feel like you are climbing into the tree. They have added another dimension to the room that you don't see with most homes. It gives you the feeling that you're a keebler elf.

    I must say, there are only a select few in this family that can tell the difference between light blue and teal. You seem to have gotten the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I totally missed the stairs. Nice catch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, Frank. Who knew you had it in you? I never knew you had such mad design skills. I'll have to start taking notes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy says "Frank, Don't forget to visit several ECLECTIC stores to help with your next design challenge."

    ReplyDelete