Saturday, February 19, 2011

American Idol Season 10

Other than commenting on the new judges, an opinion I still hold, I have been silent on the start of season 10.  My silence is mostly about my snub, the fact that I was given no consideration to replace Simon Cowell.  This is something that AI will live to regret.  Steven Tyler seems like a nice guy, but as a judge, he simply a Paula Abdul in men's clothes.  JayLo is a Steven Tyler in woman's clothes.  Don't think too hard on that.  Randy has assumed the hard nosed, irreverent Simon role, but it just isn't working for him.

The audition round of AI season 10 was entertaining, but not as much as earlier years.  There wasn't a memorable "She Bangs" performance, nor anything similar to the Pants on the Floor guy.  Judges comments were mostly polite, no "bug eyed jungle monkey" references, and this leads to my primary criticism of the season.

On Thursday, they narrowed the contestants down to the top 50 or so.  I agree with the hype that this group is extremely talented.  Maybe the most talented of any season's top 50.  I also blame the judges for including several  contestants that have no business making it through Hollywood week.  Specifically, the drama queen who had a couple of nervous breakdowns was a wasted pick.   She should have been let go.  I have no idea why the judges believe she can suddenly change into a viable contender.  It won't happen.

The deep voiced kid was another wasted selection.  He, like the drama queen, forgot the words!  In past seasons, that was enough to send someone home at the next possible opportunity.  Yet, due to the soft, gentle nature of this judging panel, he remains on the show.

Finally, the fat 15 year old is another wasted spot.  I know I must seem cruel to want him sent home.  He does seem like a very nice kid and was bullied by other contestants, but the fact remains that his voice is not that strong.  Maybe in a few years, once it changes, he could complete.  He was simply a mercy pick.  The judges were not strong enough to cut him now.  That is the problem with season 10.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't watched one episode yet. The evil cable witch, I mean, WE got rid of our DVR box and I never watch anything live other than sports.

    So I'm already stating concern for my chances in the contest where I correctly pick the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean last year when you and most of America made a horrible mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gearing up for AI Elimination Brackets? Coming soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gearing up? Yeah, sounds like the excuses are being prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How's that pick of yours doing? I haven't heard of her since she lost?

    Let me clarify, I mean the Bowersox chick, since you did pick another girl and switched.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/trending/archive/2011/01/06/crystal-bowersox-s-album-sales-exclipse-lee-dewyze-s-video.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you see the numbers? They both sucked.

    But I still picked the winner

    ReplyDelete