Friday, January 21, 2011

Judging the Judges

I missed the Wednesday season 10 premiere of American Idol due to a DVR snafu.  I was able to watch the Thursday program which became my first impression of the new judges, Randy, JayLo and Steven.

One of my attractions to past AI seasons was Simon Cowell's sharp wit, and spot on, sometimes harsh appraisals of contestant's auditions and performances.  He and I usually shared the same opinion of the show's talent, which was the primary reason why I believe that I would be the perfect replacement for Cowell.  But it was not to be.  Instead, Steven Tyler was selected as the Simon replacement and JayLo to replace Kara.

I was open minded about the Tyler selection.  I am familiar with his past in Aerosmith.  I always thought of him as a skinny little weeny-boy with an over sized mouth, but could see some potential as Simon's replacement.  After last night, I am more convinced he is a weeny-boy and nothing more.

The JayLo for Kara swap is also a disappointment.  I saw her as Paula Abdul's younger sister, and did not expect anything different.  She did not surprise me.  When JayLo speaks, I will be using the Paula Abdul fast-forward tactic perfected in past years to bypass the brainless blather.  Kara always impressed me with her deep knowledge of the music business.  I suppose JayLo might also have a clue, but there was no indication of that last night.

My assessment, paraphrasing how Simon Cowell might say it, "JayLo and Steven, I think you are in trouble and won't be with us for season 11.  I, for one, say good riddance."

No comments:

Post a Comment