Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions for 2011

Today's post will look back on my 2010 resolutions, and forward to those for 2011. 

As I noted last year, most of us find at least one thing to improve about ourselves in the coming year. I think the intent of a New Year's Resolution is to clean up the big problems in your life. Theoretically, the older you get, the fewer big problems there are to clean up. I know this is true with me.

I could resolve to lose weight, but why?  I did lose 15 pounds in 2010 for a brief instant, but put most right back on.  What a waste (or waist) of time.  I tried very hard to be a swell guy all year, but just how swell can one guy be?  I guess I could be more giving, serve more people, hug a tree, work for world peace, be a better husband/father/grandfather, blah, blah, blah. Again, I am having a difficult time coming up with a single improvement opportunity for 2011 so I will continue to focus on little things that I can do better.
Here is my assessment of the 2010 resolutions, and my new list for 2011.
2010
  • Accept more back rubs from my wonderful wife - Sadly, I didn't do well with this resolution.  It seems that I need a willing partner to succeed, and -T wasn't that willing to provide more back rubs.  In 2011, I resolve to only set goals that I can attain on my own.
  • Notice how clean the house is more often, and complement Terri on her excellent work.  A-.  I did notice.  I could still improve on the complements.
  • Renew my effort to visit every BBQ joint within 20 miles. - A+.  I am unaware of any new BBQ joints within 20 miles that I have not visited.  I even hit one near St. Louis twice.
  • Read more books, listen to more music and watch more TV.  A+.  It's what I do and I am good at it. 
So what could be left to do in 2011?
  • Stop buying Apple products.  Two iPods and an iPad should be enough for anyone.
  • Stop pretending to be a Wildcat fan, UK or KSU.   The Jayhawks are now 12-0 on the season with a 66 game home court win streak, and continued their streak of 154 consecutive sold out games.   Within the next 3-5 years, they will also be the winningest college basketball program in history.  When this is your team, it leaves little time to follow second tier programs.
I already feel the improvement. 2011 is going to be a good year.

5 comments:

  1. Considering this is 2011 and not 2016, they're still second in all time wins and a long, long way from the all time home court winning streak...and I'm sure you can guess who holds that. But hey, when you're looking up at the all-time winningest program, it gives you something to work on. So here's to 3-5 year resolutions. In the meantime, keep sticking that chest out to those folks in Manhattan. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still cannot believe you went to the dark side and got an ipad. Do you love it?

    Did you hear the Wilson's are becoming infected with the apple virus? two ibooks under their roof tonight. gross (or maybe I'm jealous, I haven't decided... actually the only program I oogle over is the imovie feature, I think I'd like to try my hand at that one). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the blogosphere. Signed your Avid Readers

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to stop living in the past Mr. McGoo. This is 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, according to Jan 4th, 2011, KU is still second. Now I know why your focus is for 2016.

    I'm just looking forward to Nov of 2011. I can't wait

    ReplyDelete