Friday, January 7, 2011

First Playoff in KC since 2004

On Sunday, the KC Chiefs return to post season action for the first time in 4 years, and the first playoff game played in Arrowhead in 7 years.  If they lose, they will set a NFL record for the most consecutive playoff losses at 7 straight.  The last time the KC Chiefs won a playoff game was way back in 1994 when they beat the Houston Oilers 28-20.  I believe Warren Moon was the Oiler's quarterback.  Joe Montana was the KC quarterback and threw three touchdown passes in the second half to give the Chiefs a 28-20 come-from-behind win. 

As noted before, my ability to predict how the Chiefs will do has been very poor this year, although slightly better than the Memphis kid's.  I missed the first game of the season when I thought San Diego was a lock to beat KC.  Then I missed KC's ability to win the division on several occasions.  I thought KC would lose to the 49'ers and St. Louis.  KC beat both handily.  I felt sure they would beat Oakland in the last game of the season, and they were spanked unmercifully.  So now I will change my prediction tactic.  I will predict the opposite of what I think will happen so that I will look like a football genius the following Monday.

The Kansas City Chiefs will not set the record for consecutive playoff losses on Sunday.  Instead, they will surprise the Baltimore Ravens with a strong running game, rushing for over 200 yards and play stifling defense.  Matt "the $65m franchise man" Cassell will throw 2 touchdown passes to Dwayne Bowe, with no interceptions.  Final score will be KC 24, Baltimore 17.  KC will dominate the entire day.  Why not?  An underdog usually beats a stronger opponent every year during the playoffs.  This could be KC's year.

On Sunday evening, sports talking heads across the country will begin giving the Chiefs a fighting chance to beat the Steelers the following weekend in Pittsburgh.  After Pittsburgh, on to New England in the AFC Championship game where anything can happen. WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!

3 comments:

  1. If you really wanted them to win, you should have predicted them to lose.

    I'll take care of it for you. They're going to get killed vs the Ravens

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you don't thnk the KC offense will have their way with the Ravens defense so much that Ray Lewis will break down and cry like a sissy-baby during the game?

    ReplyDelete