Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Speech Impediments

The movie named "The King's Speech" deals with how an English King's stuttering problem was dealt with.  I suggest that most of us have speech impediments, just not as severe as stuttering.  Here are a few examples.

As a child, my niece Heather could not form the sound for the letter L.  Instead, the W sound came out of her mouth.  Because of this she repeatedly mispronounced her cuz Lyndy's name.  During visits we would try to cure her by making her form the L sound several times before saying Lyndy.  We would ask her to repeat "La, La, Lyndy" but it always came out "La, La, Wendy".  Luckily, that speech impediment was one she rapidly grew out of.

Memphis seems to be a breeding ground for speech impediments. Heather's sister Kelsey believes that "Y'all" is a proper contraction.  It's "Y'all be nice", "Y'all shut up", "Y'all" do this, "Y'all" do that.  I prefer to believe it is a classic speech impediment, and not the product of the community college she attends.

My lovely wife has a speech impediment.  She cannot say the word "Lozenge", as in throat lozenge.  It always comes out as "Lozenger".  You can prod her to drop the R, but it makes no difference.  Lozenge is lozenger in her brain.

It has been pointed out that I too may have a speech impediment.  I have travelled to Warshington before, and last night I warshed the car.  I prefer to think that Daniel W.  forgot to add the R to wash when the dictionary was written.

3 comments:

  1. UT = Community College. Love it!

    Have you seen how she spells?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't go to a community college!!

    I'm going to hurt both of y'all. Yes.. "y'all"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another from the mid-western'ers is saying M&M's as Ena-M's. I've been hearing that for almost 40 years. :-)

    ReplyDelete