Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vacation is a Drug

Today is Monday and I am going through withdrawal.  During the past year, I did something I had never done before.  I took two consecutive weeks off, not just once, but twice.  From this wonderful experience I have learned that vacation is just another addictive drug.  Both two week vacations are analagous to drug binges.  Being off for 2 weeks makes it twice as hard to and return to reality than after a one week vacation. 

The first week is used to de-stress and become accustomed to not going to work.  I felt a physical buzz the Friday evening before my 16 consecutive days of vacation.  During the first week off, I would still think about work, but enjoyed the fact that I did not go to the office.  The second week begins the real high.  Complete relaxation is a beautiful thing, probably similar to the rush a heroin addict feels.  Then, towards the end of the second week, thoughts of work begin to creep in.  Anxiety starts to build as the first day back to work approaches.  The drug addict probably feels the same when they burn though their stash.  They know that soon they can no longer get high and will become physically ill.  I began to feel that way around last Saturday.  On Sunday I was dreading my return to reality.

Today I have the physical illness.  I don't want to be here.  My to do list is growing to an unmanageable level.  All the pent up demands of the job were released on me this morning.  Everyone wants everything done today.  I need a vacation already.  Since the last holiday was New Year's, I now have vacation time in the bank.  But I need to make that time last, so I will hoard my stash for a later date.

2 comments:

  1. ha!
    How do you think I'm going to feel after my 5 weeks sabbatical. I'm scheduled to head back Jan 17th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold turkey withdrawls. I'll feel sorry for you, (then, but not now).

    ReplyDelete