Saturday, October 31, 2009

Public Speaking

I like most people was paralyzed by the thought of speaking to more than a handful of people at one time. My past jobs did not require public speaking, so the fear was not realized often. There was just that one Sunday morning every year called "Sunday School Teacher Appreciation Day" that would remind me of my fear. Since I was Superintendent of the Kindergarten class, I would be asked to introduce the teachers and helpers and briefly describe how we went about our responsibility. Every year I would get through it just fine, but that made the next year no easier.
Then came my job changed and I began working for Sprint. Since I was part of the Corporate infrastructure of a Fortune 100 company, there were times when I would be asked to present. If I had known that tidbit, I may not have taken the job. That is just how powerful the fear of public speaking is for most people. I coasted through the first few months without drawing a presentation responsibility. I was working on a technical operations manual for Fiber to the Curb networks, so most of my time was spent researching and writing. When I neared completion, my director requested that I prepare a presentation on how HR functions would change with the introduction of the new technology. He said I would present the subject to a group of director and vice presidents in the HR and operations organizations.

My knees immediately buckled. I had just been told that I would be thrown into the deep end of the pool without swimming lessons. Being the good soldier that I am, I began preparing the material I would present. Once prepared, I began practicing my delivery. I probably spent several hours practicing a presentation that would last only 15 minutes.

The day of the presentation arrived. After a bit of last minute practicing and no lunch (I did not feel hurling was good presentation form), I proceeded to the conference room with the assembled executives. My time on the agenda came and went, but I was not introduced. Finally, after an hour of extreme stress, I stepped up to the podium and began my presentation. My voice quivered, my knees shook and every part of my body began to sweat. Regardless, I delivered the presentation and opened the floor for questions. A few were asked and I handled them fine. And then I was excused.

As I returned to my work area, I experienced a sensation that I have experienced only a few times since. It was a feeling of euphoria and relief at conquering a fear. I had faced the bull and won. Later that day I asked my director for his thoughts on my presentation. He had nothing but great things to say which further enhanced the elation. He was not able to detect the voice quivers or knee knocking, a phenomenon I have witnessed several times since in myself and others.

Since that first presentation, I have taken many classes on presentation skills and public speaking. All were valuable, but the most valuable was one that actually video taped your presentation for playback. In that class I was able to see and correct many of my annoying gestures and habits that distract listeners. Running the tape in fast forward also uncovered the strange quirks of my delivery. When seen in fast motion, I waddle back and forth like a duck. These are things that I watch for when speaking and have tried to correct.

Today, public speaking is just part of the job. I still feel euphoric after delivering a message well. Most of my messages are no longer prepared presentations, but short "elevator speeches." Usually those are off the cuff, (a useful ability), and last only a minute or less. Managers usually develop the talent of turning a 1 minute elevator speech into a presentation of any length when called upon. To the basic elevator speech, we simply add a related story or two and maybe an analogy. It is a clever talent that transforms a 1 minute speech into a 15 minute presentation at a moment's notice.

Many people on my team would be in the same fearful situation if asked to present. I once had a supervisor on my team who would lock up when presenting. I coached him several times but it did nothing to help him overcome his problem. He would simply blank out while speaking. He could not utter another word and would have to excuse himself from the podium. His fear was far worse than average.
Prepared presentation is never a concern for me anymore. If given time to prepare, I can be at ease in front of any audience. I am comfortable with speaking to large groups on demand as long as I know the material. If I don't know the material, I have found it better to be frank (because I always am) and just say I have nothing important to add than make it up. People who make it up are always caught.

1 comment: