Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fall

I am against it. After the rebirth of spring, and the activity of summer, comes fall. Some people refer to it as autumn so they don't use the 4 letter word. To me, that's like saying potty instead of crap. I am just not a fan of fall or even autumn. There is very little I like about it.

The days shorten. I now go to work in the dark, and once daylight savings time expires I will come home in the dark. The day we go off daylight savings time is to me, the dreariest day of the year. Of course you get a little more light in the morning, but to me it is depressing to leave work at dusk. It requires a whole week to work out the drearies. The lack of sunlight means that I must now plan cutting the grass or other outside yard work around the expanding dark hours, so it is inconvenient too.

Warmth becomes hard to find. This fall has been an especially cool one. Since the first of October, most daytime highs have run between 18 and 27 degrees below normal. We should be topping out in the upper 60's but have only seen one 60 degree day this month. Warmer weather has come this week, but it is still below average. I certainly hope this is not a trend. The outside chill seems to work it's way inside the house. Setting our thermostat to 68 is a luxury during summer, but the same inside temperature seems frigid this time of year.

Goodbye green. The color ceases to exist during winter, and it's fall's fault. We get a lot of satisfaction from Terri's flowers and my lawn during the summer. But even now, our flowers are not producing many blooms and the lawn will soon start to turn brown. Fortunately our neighborhood was once a Christmas tree farm so we will never completely lose the green, but it gets harder to find.

But trees bring up the best part of fall.


Kansas City briefly becomes a beautiful town for a couple weeks during the fall. The city is filled with maple, oak, and other tree species that turn to various shades of yellow, orange and red. You cannot help but notice. This year has been a wet one, so the trees entered fall in a very healthy state and are just now reaching peak color.

With the recent cold temperatures, there was a risk of a marcescent fall, one with a few days of hard freezes. We had one in Kansas City back in 2001. The leaves freeze on the trees, turn brown, and do not fall until spring, So marcescent is your vocabulary word for the day.

mar·ces·cent (mär ses′ənt)
adjective
withering but not falling off

My personal definition of a marcescent fall would be an especially crappy fall.


4 comments:

  1. Ebenezer Bryant,

    While I do share your hatred for the lack of sun light during the fall, I do enjoy the season. The problem is that I don't enjoy it here in Memphis, as you may not enjoy it in KC. The problem I have is that fall is a season and here it lasts more like a second. It goes from hot to cold in a matter of weeks and thus we never get to enjoy the cooler weather and colors.
    There is a place where the sun shines brighter, the air is cool and crisp, and the colors are beautiful. Even the cola taste better.

    They just happen to have the best college basketball program of all time as well.

    Got to love the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wish I could live in Kentucky too. I suspect that Louisville is a nice place in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the very shortness of the season and its quick transition to winter is what frustrates me. Plus, I'm beginning to think I need UV therapy, as the sunlight diminishes the mood seems to be less sanguine. But, I do love the bright gold and yellow leaf colors while they last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall because of it's colors. Winter, I'm not a big fan of, okay, I truly dislike winter. I think I like fall because of where I live. If I lived where you do, or some of my customers do, where they are already shoveling snow, I would despise fall. For us, fall brings temps that allow jeans and a sweatshirt without a coat and it's blissful to lounge on the couch in such attire and enjoy football on the big screen. :)

    ReplyDelete