Friday, October 9, 2009

Miranda's Revolution

A week ago last Tuesday, Miranda Lambert released the follow up to her Grammy winning best album "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend". In a prior post, I had mentioned that with another solid effort, she could vault herself into country music's elite. My expectation for this release was high, but Miranda has pulled off another great recording. I can call her Miranda since I have bought all 3 of her CD's, each with a serial number close to 1. Heck, I think that means I practically discovered her.

The Revolution CD contains 15 tracks, many co-written by Miranda and her boyfriend Blake Shelton. Only 2 of the cuts will remind you of wild rocker-girl Miranda. You can visualize her stomping out the tune with her pink guitar, blond hair flailing, followed by destruction of the guitar. The surprise is that most of the remaining 13 cuts are much tamer with an obvious country flavor. Country flavor was sometimes hard to find in her prior releases.

One cut, named Time to Get a Gun, is pure country writing. After telling about her neighbor that had a car stolen out of the drive way, the chorus lyric goes:

It's time to get a gun,
That's what I'm thinking,
I could probably afford one,
If I did just a little less drinking.

I don't care who you are, that's country. The surprise is the song was not written by Lambert. The House That Built Me was, and is pure writing genius. Everyone that grew up in a house will relate to the song.

Revolution is the third CD released by Miranda. It is the best example of her range. She takes you from Miranda the Rocker to Pop to Ballad. Each song is well written and performed. I think this CD will be enough for Lambert to included in any country top 10 list. She has come a long way since her Nashville Star days. If you liked that clip, you like this one also. By the way, Miranda came in third during the first season of Nashville star. Buddy Jewell won.

No comments:

Post a Comment