Friday, August 7, 2009

I have the Knack

...for spotting musical talent. I can hear a short snippet of a song, or see part of a music video and quickly determine if there is potential. I have several proof points over the last few years.

Sugarland. I bought their first CD "Twice the Speed of Life" after seeing one music video. At the time, Sugarland was getting no airtime on country music radio. The CD confirmed to me there was talent. I discovered that Jennifer Nettles has a world class voice, and that the group has a distictive and unique sound. Plus, they write their own stuff. Months went by. Radio started playing their music, but the awards did not come. I became upset that each award show would give the trophies to the same people - Brooks and allDunn, Pretty Boy Kenny, and so on. It didn't seem fair. Finally, Sugarland broke through with best new artist, best song and best vocal duo awards. Now, after releasing 4 CD's, and years of opening for other performers, Sugarland has hit the big time and fill arena's on their own. On Monday evening, ABC broadcast a 60 minute special concert. Sugarland have come a long way in the past few years. Their act now resembles a high energy Las Vegas show. I am not sure I like the new act, but will admit they have entered the top tier of country music performers, and it is well deserved.

Miranda Lambert. Again an artist I began following after seeing a music video of "Me and Charley Talking" from her first CD. Miranda can move seamlessly from hard rock to soft ballads, and hit everything in between. Her strength is in the songwriting. Her lyrics paint rich pictures using very few words. Miranda won a best album award in 2008 for her "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" CD. Musically, it was a great CD and proved her range of styles, but the lyrics are what got her the award. Each tell a story. Miranda has a third CD due in September, and it could propel her to country music elite status.

Lady Antebellum. This group was already getting airplay when I first noticed them. They are basically a vocal band. Only one member plays an instrument, so of all the artists I mentioned, these guys are my least favorite. Regardless, the do have a distinctive sound and produce nice toe-tappers. Lady Antebellum was the latest recipient of the best new artist award.

Taylor Swift. I first noticed her after hearing her first big hit, "Tim McGraw". Taylor is not the best musician out there. Her guitar is average at best, and her vocals are inconsistent. Her strength is songwriting - she is a song writing machine. Her lyrics can be adolescent, but after all she is only 18 years old. My prediction is that her lyrics will mature as she does, and she will become one of the top singer/songwriters in country music.

My wife believes that I am too full of myself, so I will put the self awarded reputation on the line. Today, as I write this, a new band is releasing their first CD. The band is called Gloriana. I believe they meet the criteria of a distinctive sound, good talent, and above average musical ability. I am disappointed that only 1 of 13 songs on the new CD was written by a member of the band. That may hold them back. Gloriana may not rise to Sugarland or Taylor Swift levels, but should be on par with Lady Antebellum or Miranda Lambert. We should know if a year or so.

Full of myself. Hrrrumph. Did I mention that Lyndy and I picked Carrie Underwood as the American Idol season 4 winner after the first round try outs?

No comments:

Post a Comment