Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Baseball

Over the course of my entire life, baseball has been my game. I played little league and was pretty good. I was a better fielder than batter, and found myself at third base on most teams on which I played. I am also a baseball fan. Less now than in my younger years. In later years, I played softball. I was also good at that also. I played well into my 30's and only stopped after severely tearing my hamstring twice. But more that a player, I am a baseball fan.

I followed the KC Athletics religiously through my grade school years. Charlie O. Finley was the owner then. Charlie was always a couple french fries short of a happy meal. While the team was in KC, he constantly redesigned the stadium to spark interest in an otherwise boring team. One year, he brought the right field fence in to less than 300 feet. The wall was only 1-2 foot tall, with bleachers just on the other side. Outfielders could literally step into the bleachers to catch a ball.

Charlie Finley also created a home plate that would rise up from the ground exposing a mechanical rabbit with a basket on it's head full of extra baseballs. The umpire would replenish his supply during the game from this source. Whenever the Athletics hit a home run (not too often), a mule would run around the field. The mule's name was Charlie O.

Finley also brought white shoes to the game, creating a controversy. Other teams thought the reason was to confuse batters with other flashes of white in their peripheral vision. One night game, Charlie decided to leverage the only player on the team that had a following. The player was Dagaberto (Bert) Campinaris. "Campy" played shortstop on the team and was usually the lone KC representative at the yearly All Star game.

On this night, Campy was to play all 9 positions, rotating position each inning. I was at the stadium. The first 8 innings went pretty well. He even played well the inning he pitched. In the ninth inning, Campy played catcher. There was a play at the plate and Campy got steamrolled. It knocked him out cold and he was removed from the field on a stretcher. To this day I still wonder if Charlie Finley orchestrated that event. I would not put it past him, but it would have taken a lot of effort to get the other team on board.

I have many great memories of going to see KC A's games. My father would take my grandfather and I to the old stadium at 19th and Brooklyn. There were not parking lots, so we would pay a nearby resident $5 to park in their front yard. From there we would walk to the stadium and watch major league baseball with up to 17,000 other fans. I still have a vivid memory of the smell of hot dogs and cotton candy at the old ballpark.

The Athletics left KC for Oakland in 1967. On the team that left were Reggie Jackson, Vida Blue, Catfish Hunter, Sal Bando, and Joe Rudi to name a few. This was the nucleus that won several world series over the next decade. But KC had no team. That was until 1969 when the American League expanded and added the KC Royals. I was 13 when the Royals played their first game. Lou Pinella was the only notable name on the team, but that soon changed. Over the next few years, an American League powerhouse was forming. George Brett, Fred Patek, Dennis Leonard, Steve Busby, Dan Quisenberry, Amos Otis, Frank White and others formed a strong team that won the American League Western Division 3 times in the mid 1970's.

But the New York Yankees were winning the East Division during this same time. In 76, 77 and 78, the Royals and Yanks met in the American League playoffs. Each year, the Royals started strong only to lose in come from behind fashion. Chris Chamblis' 8th inning homer in game five, 1977 was a knife to the heart. I and a good friend spent the next hour in my backyard releasing our frustation by kicking trees. Each kick was intended for a specific Yankee.

In 1980, the Royals were able to get past the Yankees on a George Brett homer off of Yankee closer Goose Gossage. We lost to the Phillies in 6 games. In 1985, the Royals accomplished what they had not during the past 4 post season appearances. They won the pennant over Toronto and advanced to the World Series against St. Louis in what was dubbed the I-70 series. The Royals came back from a 3 to 1 game deficit to win in 7 games. It was Kansas City's first title since the 1969 Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

The Royals brought much entertainment during their "good" years. I was in the stands when George Brett hit a double and raised his average to .410 late in the season. He stood at second base and tipped his hat to the fans. His run to become the first modern player to bat .400 failed, but .390 wasn't bad. I also watch Bo Jackson perform feats on the field that no other baseball player had ever done. He would hit massive home runs, break bats over his own head or thigh, beat out ground balls, and throw runners out at home from the outfield wall. He was a talent that we will never know the full potential as football ended his career prematurely. Yet, I am glad that I saw him perform.

The Royals stayed competitive for 10 more years. But in 1995, their long time general manager left for Atlanta and nothing has been the same since. The new tradition of losing began and is still in full swing. The KC Royals are again set to be the worst team in baseball this year.

I really don't care that much. My love of baseball faded when the union became more of a story than the game or the ballplayers. The second strike left me cold to the sport. I continue to go to the games a couple times a year but my interest is the other team, or this year the newly remodeled stadium. I have resigned myself to the fact that Kansas City will probably never have another championship in baseball. Baseball is too slanted in favor of large market teams. Kansas City cannot compete for the best players. We get them through the draft, develop them, and watch them go to teams that can afford the salary demanded by star players.

I think I need to get a new favorite team. Or, I can favor whatever team is playing the Yankees that day. The Yankees drool too.

2 comments:

  1. "only stopped after severely tearing my hamstring twice" - ask Kelly about kickball in this regard. :) he he.

    I haven't been one to see many major league games, but I sure love those triple A (if that's even what they are) games in Memphis. The Redbirds are fun to watch. I'm not a fan of baseball on TV, but nothing like going to the ballpark, enjoying the game and the company surrounding you.

    Sad day for the Royals. Stinks that the big boys are truly the only ones that have a chance anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. I miss my UFrank comments on verbal vomit. Somebody got into blogging and forgot to leave comments for the little people in life. ;) Haven't had a UFrank comment since Aug 5th - that's 5 posts ago.

    I'm just saying. ;)

    ReplyDelete