Thursday, October 29, 2009

Doesn't Tradition Count for Anything?

My favorite time of the year is just around the corner. Soon the airwaves will be full of college basketball games from all corners of America. The season leading up to March Madness is my favorite time in sports. Amateur competitors will lay everything on the line for a mere title. It really doesn’t matter whether I am watching the men or women play, it is all good competition.


An interesting thing happened during this lead up to the season. Preseason polls are starting to be published. The surprise is that Kansas, not Kentucky, is at the top.  Both Dick Vitale and CBS Sports preseason rankings read 1. Kansas 2. Kentucky.  Doesn’t a rich heritage and tradition count for anything anymore? Just which team is the one with the proudest, most celebrated past?

The answer is academic – Kentucky – my team*. And I am taking personal offense these facts are not considered when anointing the preseason #1 pick. Who are these guys anyway? What would Dick Vitale or the staff at CBS Sport know about men’s college basketball? Apparently, very little. I guess we will just need to wait for March to see the cream rise to the top.

Update: Now I am livid.  The Bleacher Report has KU #1, and Kentucky #4. 

Another Update - This keeps getting worse.  The so-called top 2 polls, (AP and COaches) polls both have Kansas #1.  Kentucky with all it's rich tradition and proud heritage is #4 in the coaches and #5 in the Coaches polls.  I say again, what do these guys know about basketball?



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you're coming around. And it didn't even take me taking you to two games to convince. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two major polls are out today (AP and coaches) and neither took into consideration tradition or heritage. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete