Friday, November 12, 2010

Country Music Awards

The 2010 CMA awards were handed out last Wednesday evening.  As the preeminent music expert in my household, I feel compelled to comment. 

The first award handed out was for Single of the Year.  Need You Now,” by Lady Antebellum was the winner.  I was thinking "Here we go again". Country music awards shows have a habit of bestowing multiple awards to one artist each year.  Past multiple winners have been Kenny "Pretty Boy" Chesney, and Brooks and Dunn.  Last year it was Taylor Swift and Lady Antebellum.  I knew that I could not make it through another night of seeing Lady clean house.

But it was not to be.  The next couple of awards went to Miranda Lambert.  She wins Song of the Year and Video of the Year for “The House That Built Me.”   New Artist of the Year then went to the Zac Brown Band.  Well deserved.  The band then performed As She's Walking Away from their new album with Alan Jackson.  It was the best performance of he evening.


Later, Sugarland wins Vocal Duo of the Year.  Their performance of Stuck Like Glue was difficult to watch.  Seeing Jennifer Nettles with the ballerina gag was way over the top.  What was once my favorite country music band is now gone.  Their performance curled my toes and made me throw up a little in my mouth.  The choreography made me think of a cheesy Showboat program.  The Sugarland handlers have ruined a talented band.  They now make me sick.


But the evening was salvaged when Miranda won Album of the Year for Revolution, and later Female Vocalist of the Year.  Another big winner for the evening was her fiance Blake Shelton who won Musical Event of the Year for Hillbilly Bone, and Male Vocalist of the Year.  If those two every have children, there will be a line of agents outside the hospital trying to get the baby under contract.


The evening ended with Brad Paisley winning Entertainer of the Year.  Who says life isn't fair?

No comments:

Post a Comment