Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Business Travel

I have never travelled excessively for my job.  During the first 20 years of my working life, I made 2 trips.  The first was to the bustling town of Champagne, Illinois to help open a new Red Lobster restaurant.  The second to Lexington Kentucky to teach a class on software that I had developed.  I remember little of either trip.  The locations are not tourist hotspots.

The past 14 years have brought many more business trips.  While working for the Local Telephone Division of Sprint, I regularly travelled to much more pleasant destinations that led to memorable experiences I would not have otherwise had.  It was on business trips that I first experienced the gaudiness of Las Vegas Nevada.  I also spent a day at Monticello when travelling to Charlottesville Virginia.  Different trips to Orlando Florida allowed visits to Daytona Beach, Cape Canaveral and Disney.  I have been lucky enough to witness 2 launches of the space shuttle, of which one was a rare night launch.  In 1999, I was able to spend a week in Brazil visiting Sao Paulo and Rio De Janero.  Attendance at an industry seminar allowed me the opportunity to stay at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs.

Due to the declining business environment and the acceptance of web meeting software and conference calls, I have not travelled at all during the past 2 years.  I really did not miss it much.  An improving economy is now opening up the travel budgets.  I travelled to Dallas a couple weeks ago and will go to Orlando in another couple weeks.  Terri will accompany me on the next trip and we will stay over the following weekend for some beach (and maybe golf) time. 

The changes in air travel I now notice after not travelling for 2 years are stark.  In the trip to Dallas, I never saw an empty seat on the plane.  I hear from others that there are none.  If the flight doesn't sell out, it is usually cancelled.  Airport security is another joy.  While I tolerate the inconveniences for security, it is still not pleasant.  On my recent return to Kansas City, I was randomly selected to participate in the wand treatment, and have my shoes chemically checked.  I passed both and was allowed to return home. 

I have not yet been subjected to the full body scanners or optional frontal pat down.  I suspect the trip to Orlando will provide that choice.  I think I will let the TSA agent select the method that would be a treat for them.  After all, I am all about spreading joy to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment