Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Extra 30 Seconds a Day

In a prior post, I justified the purchase of a iPad to the extra 30 seconds a day I would get.  The only remaining question was whether to get the 16, 32 or 64 GB model.  On Saturday, -T and I found ourselves in my favorite toy store, Nebraska Furniture Mart.  It uncanny how that happens almost every weekend.  On this day, I happened to cruise through the clearance department and was met with an opportunity.  There on the shelf sat a new 16 GB, WiFi only iPad priced $75 below retail.  I immediately grabbed it before another shopper could recognize the bargain and snatch it from me.

I approached the sales clerk and asked why the new device was in clearance.  Was it a floor model that had been pawed by the great unwashed over the past few months?  Or was it refurbished?  I needed to know why a device the evil genius' at Apple never discount was discounted.  The clerk was able to look up the reason and found that it had been sold and returned.  The return reason was the former buyer was not aware that an iPad needed to be managed by connecting it to a PC with iTunes.  That person must not have owned a PC, so ate the 15% restocking change and returned the iPad.  Good for me.  It was the same as if the former customer sent me a check for $75.

Now my only decision was whether I wanted to lower myself to a 16 GB model.  After all, I had determined several days before that 16 was less than 32 and 64, so 64 was my preference.  For the good of my community, I was willing to accept a 32 GB, but never considered slumming all the way down to a 16 GB model.  Here was my opportunity to save a few dollars that could be used to make Christmas better for others.  And recover 30 seconds of my life each day.  Not much really to think about.  It is a win-win.  I bought it.

Almost immediately, I began to feel cooler.  -T noticed that I was much better looking with an iPad in my hand.  Even SIL and BILS noticed the difference on Saturday night.  They didn't say anything, but I could tell.  The Apple magic was now on my side.  I was a cooler person by simply purchasing an iPad. 

By Sunday evening the new iPad was set up on the network, all bookmarks were loaded, and I downloaded a couple solitaire games for -T.  The new iPad is now a favorite with -T.  She uses it to get on the internet, check email and everything she would normally use the laptop for.  It probably saves her 30 seconds a day also, so now we are up to a minute for the household.  The iPad is already making life better for others, and that is what I am all about.  I have also noticed that she is looking mighty fine working that iPad.  Thank you Steve Jobs, for making my wife cooler than she already was.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha!
    Hilarious. Love it.

    Mr. McGoo maybe disappointed that you're getting closer & closer to the dark side... but as long as you FEEL cooler - who's to question, right?

    So how are you using that $75 savings to "be used to make Christmas better for others", hmmm? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy & I really enjoyed this one !

    ReplyDelete