Saturday, April 3, 2010

Stupid Letter of the Week

This weeks stupid letter comes from Tom Grimaldi. Tom is obviously an Obama supporter that has fully bought into nationalized health care. In fact he goes one step farther and likens the time before the health care legislation as an evil time akin to racial discrimination.

Law right for America


I predict that years from now we will look back at a time when more than 10 percent of our country did not have health insurance and we will ask ourselves, “What could we have been thinking?” The current health care bill, which will extend coverage to 32 million Americans, is not perfect. But maintaining the status quo is a far greater evil. It’s akin to defending “separate but equal” accommodations for minorities, which we willingly and ignorantly justified for decades.

It’s hard to understand how one of the wealthiest countries on the planet can so easily disregard the needs of its poorest, most disadvantaged citizens.

The social and moral implications of having so many uninsured Americans are staggering. The issue is easy for me. I just ask myself one simple question: What would Jesus do?

Tom Grimaldi
Kansas City


Tom creates his own facts when he asks how the wealthiest country on earth could so easily disregard the needs of its poorest most disadvantaged citizens. Apparently he has not been in an emergency room recently. If he had he would no doubt have seen the signs stating that no one can be denied treatment. Granted this is not the most efficient health care delivery method, but I think it adequately deflates his argument that America disregards the needs of its poorest citizens.

Tom then attempts to commandeer the moral high ground by asking what would Jesus do? Jesus told his followers to care for the needy, but he never said that we should enable our worldly government to take that responsibility for us. My comment to Tom would be that I am taking care of the less fortunate by maintaining my own health insurance. It is called personal responsibility. I don't have the right to health insurance. I do have the right to purchase health insurance. Part of my premium is used to pay the care for those who cannot afford it. Don't wag your finger at me Tom. I am not a racist and I do care about the needy. I do my part by being a solid citizen that practices personal responsibility, not by spending other peoples money to create new social programs that demotivate some to let the government take care of them.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, my friend. Nicely put. It is so challenging to see others equate the whole of the Health Care bill as if it only contained its finest components.

    I don't think that most would choose to eat brownies laced with Exlax, even though they would answer 'Yes' when polled and asked if they liked brownies. But, clearly in regards to the Health Care bill there are many that don't analyze the issues deeply enough.

    Assuming those that oppose the whole therefore oppose everything is just so very shortsighted.

    ReplyDelete