Thursday, April 15, 2010

I Like to Eat - 17th Street Grill

Several months ago I watched a Food Channel show on barbecue restaurants across the United States. Several restaurants that I have enjoyed were featured. The 17th Street Grill caught my attention because if isn't too far from Kansas City, or at least too far from our travel route between KC and Memphis. As part of my ongoing self-improvement project, I vowed to get there for a sampling. That opportunity presented itself last weekend when Terri and I spent the weekend in St. Louis. Terri attended a hair show, while I did what I do best, relax.



We arrived late afternoon on Saturday and checked into our hotel. Not wanting to delay my self-improvement, I immediately booted up the PC and got directions to O'Fallon, Illinois, the location of 17th Street Grill. Their web site claims they have the best ribs in the country. I began to quiver with excitement. I tempered my excitement remembering this claim is based on a bon appetit article. Red flag #1. Can you really trust the French? They probably eat their ribs with a spoon. Still I was hopeful this could be a memorable experience.



First, this is not a BBQ joint. It is a BBQ restaurant reminding me of a Corky's in Memphis. I was somewhat surprised that at 6:00 on a Saturday evening, there was no wait for seating. Red flag #2. The waitress and menu arrived and I began to plan my attack. When you only get one shot at a restaurant, you must make the best of the opportunity. Knowing they specialized in ribs, I decided on the 4 bone appetizer. It would give me a taste of their specialty and allow me to sample other selections for the main course.




The ribs (babyback) arrived. Four beautiful bones resting on a bed of onion straws. I found the ribs to be extremely tender and meaty. I look up and notice the waitress wearing a t-shirt that said "Add all the sauce you want, but BBQ is how you cook it". Those are words I can live by. The menu claimed their meat was smoked for up to 24 hours over cherry and apple wood. The flavor validated the claim. I also noticed a distinctive flavor I found very pleasant. It must be what they call "magic dust", the rub they sprinkle on everything. The ribs were great, 10 out of 10. I am starting to question my strategy of a rib appetizer and a different main course. But then again, if they really cook all the meat the same way, what comes next should be every bit as good as the ribs.



The main course was a combination plate of pork and brisket served with sides of cole slaw and fries. Unfortunately, the most interesting item on he plate was the cole slaw. I did my normal mixing of cole slaw and pork (like God intended), and wondered where the heat was coming from. I tried the sauce, first the mustard based sauce. It was okay, but no fire. Then the red sauce, better but still no fire. Then I looked closely at the slaw. What was the dark green content? Jalapenos! I found the heat. They put shredded jalapenos in the cole slaw! I would rate their cole slaw as a 9 our of 10. Their pork and brisket did not rate as well. I found both to be tender, but bland. Both get a 3 out of 10. I have tasted better BBQ at Costco. If not for the cole slaw, the dinner would have been wasted.

My self improvement activity is over. What did I learn? I learned that you should not over think BBQ. If the specialty is ribs, get ribs. I have learned my lesson and am now a better person.

1 comment:

  1. "Like God intended" - I'll forget you said that. Cabbage and BBQ are NOT meant to go together. Ugh...almost threw up in my mouth.

    I am surprised it took you this long to figure that lesson out. You sound like a guy that would have driven to Florida, only to eat chicken fingers...sheesh.

    That being said, I've got a local dive that I'm taking you to when you get here. Think you'll like it

    ReplyDelete