Friday, July 17, 2009

MJ

Up until now I have resisted blogging on any subject related to Micheal Jackson. I figured that he's dead, so let it go. My mistake was in responding to a poll on facebook. The poll question asked if Micheal Jackson's birthday should become a national holiday. The first 3 votes were "No", a national holiday was not warranted. I should have moved on, but I didn't.

I find the idea so absurd that my natural tendency became overwhelming and I turned to sarcasm. I responded that he "would be the first pedophile celebrated with his own day". (Well at least known pedophile as there may be others.)

The first response was a snotty "It was never proven he was a pedophile. Do not judge lest you be judged." Okay, that was pretty tame and maybe even called for. But I took the bait, mistake #2. I left the following comment:

He wasn't charged with pedophilia, he was charged with child molestation. As I remember, he paid off a couple of the children's families to have the charges dropped. Nothing was proven, but he was never found not guilty. He did however, admit to sleeping with young boys. No judging here. I am just taking the sicko at his word. You can defend him if you desire. It is a sick society that celebrates such a freak.

Okay, I shouldn't have done it. But remember that I am an old guy, one of the ones that ruined facebook for younger people. You would have thought that I'd left a floating snickers bar in the punch bowl. My facebook friend then responded with a litany of excuses for MJ's behavior and that we should all accept it. A summary of that response was:
  • MJ did not have a normal childhood, or even a childhood so he was in regression
  • The regressive MJ chose to have a life as a child, so when he slept with young boys it was just a sleep over, completely innocent and not molestation
  • Nobody has charged that he molested him since his death
  • MJ was kind and did a lot for charities
  • Everyone who knew MJ said nice things about him
I am not convinced. I still say that he is likely a pedophile and most certainly a self-mutilator. I do not believe his life should be celebrated in any way. Despicable people can be talented, and are capable of saying or doing good things, but they are still despicable.

I am clumsy with the facebook etiquette and realize I shouldn't have used it to inflame others with my comment. That's what blogs are for. So let me know what you think. Am I right or wrong? I promise to behave.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=105925959649&h=bsTAN&u=eIZFb&ref=nf

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, but I must say that Michael Jackson was a great music artist. That is why people idolize him the way that they do. They forget that most musicians have many demons. Elvis overdosed, Kurt Koban put a shotgun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, and there are so many others you could list. So... the lesson of this story is never let your kids go over to any musician house... because they are all crazy, except Bono... he's pretty cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Frank! He was a freak.

    ReplyDelete