Thursday, July 23, 2009

Life Events

The following is a lame attempt at free association on significant life events.
  • My birth - I vaguely remember the doctor mentioning what a fine specimen I was, maybe the best example he had ever seen. :-)
  • First memory - A toy car. I was sitting in a high chair and it was probably my birthday. I was given a black car that had a red light on top. Second memory was a beach. It was cloudy,I was cold, and we were picking up sea shells.
  • First day of school - Happy. I thought it was going to be a time of cookies, milk, naps, recess and games. Turns out I was born 50 years too soon for that to be true.
  • Getting a drivers license - Bummer. I could only drive the parents station wagon.
  • First job - How will I ever be able to spend all that money? I made $1.60 an hour busing tables.
  • First car - 1972 Vega. Was recently voted as one of the 10 worst cars ever made. Since it was my first, I did not know any better.
  • First cool car - 1969 red GTO convertible. Fast and cool.
  • First date - Embarrassment. I asked Leslie Shanks, a hostess at Red Lobster, for a date. To my surprise, she accepted. We double dated with mutual friends at a pizza place with a live band. The band was so loud there was no conversation the entire evening. I dropped her off and asked if she wanted to go out again. Without hesitating, she sadly shook her head and responded, "No".
  • Moving out of the house - Freedom! I later found that freedom doesn't mean I make the rules, just that the rule maker had changed.
  • Marriage - Blur. I remember a white tuxedo and a lot of sweat. Turned out better that I could have hoped.
  • Birth of first child- Hairball or monkey? It looked like the birth of a massive amount of hair, could it be attached to a baby?
  • Birth of second child- The girl had no butt and she immediately started whining. She got a butt, but still hasn't stopped whining.
  • First grandchild - Fun. All the good stuff of parenthood, and then they go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment