Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mid-life Crisis

I had a mid-life crisis. It was not a woman or a motorcycle, however I was a vehicle. By any one's standard, it was not a great vehicle. Gas mileage was poor, it has a poor safety rating, it was cold in the winter and hot in the summer, you would never take it on a long trip because it would beat you to death, you could to leave anything of value in it unattended because it was so easy to break in, and it barely would maintain highway speed. When the weather man is wrong, I would end up baling water out of it after an unexpected thunderstorm.

I no longer have it after trading it in on a Chevrolet Tahoe, the most luxurious, comfortable, and practical vehicle I have ever owned. Yet, I still miss the mid-life crises vehicle even now, 6 years after the trade in.

It makes no sense. My yellow Jeep Wrangler the most impractical vehicle I have ever owned. It was also by far the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. Terri and I would spent warm summer nights cruising the back roads of Kansas in it. It is the only vehicle I have ever owned that would that would entice us to just go out on a drive.
You may have seen bumper stickers on Jeeps that say "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". Very true. Jeep owners are loyal. A Jeep Wrangler can best be described as a motorcycle on 4 wheels. You feel the road like a motorcycle and have the 2 wheel open air driving experience, yet retain some of the safety features of a car. It is a Jeep thing. I want another.
My next Jeep will be a pure recreation vehicle. I do not want to rely on it for basic transportation. It may be a used, beat up, high mileage model. I just want to experience back road pleasure driving one more time.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it has been 6 years since you traded that thing in. I feel like it was just a year or two ago. Time flies. It sure was perdy!

    ReplyDelete