Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I am a Stroke Survivor, Part 3

June 11th, my 51st birthday marked my first day home as a stroke survivor. I felt pretty good and all I was required to do was take a mild blood thinner for a year and visit with the neurologist every quarter. For the first couple of weeks I experienced some weakness on my left side and slurred a few words, but the impact was not too noticeable. I took 2 weeks off before returning to work, and played golf (poorly) in the week that followed my release. So in my mind, things were returning to normal.


Terri may disagree and could have a little different recollection. She noticed that I was going though demeanor changes. I was far less patient than before, far more impulsive, and could quickly become irritable or mad at things that would not have bothered me in the past. As I put time between myself and the stroke, I too could see these changes. Although not as severe, some are still with me today.


Time has also allowed me to see that my logic and behaviour in the days following release from the hospital were odd. My check registry for that time period is full of errors. I would sometimes use a credit card, but enter it in the check registry. Other times I would use my check card and not register the transaction.


One day I received a new transaction card for our savings account. Thinking it was a new check card, I destroyed my old one, and tried to use the savings card as a check card without success. In my mind, the bank was horribly screwed up as it was all their fault.


After returning to work, I do remember one instance of confusion at an intersection near my place of business. I actually pulled out in front of a car that had the right of way. Luckily the other driver avoided collision. I do not recall other problems driving, but that one was close.


As time passed, the confusion lessened. The only affects of my stroke now are that I am quicker to anger than I once was, and sometimes I briefly forget names of those I am vaguely acquainted with. When presenting concepts or projects at work, I will stumble on words, or they will queue up in my head much faster that I can speak.


Terri might have other beliefs on how I have changed. In fact, she may have corrections on many of the events I have written about. One thing that was learned about right side brain injuries is that the victim is not aware of a problem, and is completely unaware of the strange behavior they may exhibit.


I am thankful for many things. Thankful the stoke was not severe with permanent disability. Thankful that I have not had a recurrence of the problem. Thankful that my employer was understanding an patient with my recovery. But most thankful that my family, especially my wife Terri, has put up with my strange behavior and moods, and still love me. Thanks babe, I love you much.

1 comment: