Monday, March 22, 2010

We Have a Problem

It started when I began to find empty bottles everywhere around the house. A couple of empty's in the bathroom wastebasket, another one sitting on the living room end table. I didn't think too much about it. Then I started to notice that instead of purchasing one case at a time we were purchasing two or three. A row of full bottles now occupy our kitchen counter top. And more empties everywhere I look. A couple in the car. A couple more on the bathroom vanity. She isn't even trying to hide it anymore. I have come to terms with the fact that my wife has a drinking problem.

I wish I had the same problem. You see my wife drinks more bottled water than you can imagine. She doesn't drink anything else. I know it is healthier than other liquids. I can't do it. I need flavor. Isn't coffee, tea, juice and soda most water? So why can't I just drink those and get the health benefits? It just doesn't seem fair that the healthier of 2 liquids that are 99% identical is the one that doesn't have a taste. Maybe God also cursed mankind in the garden of Eden with this fact.

It is rare that I will drink plain water. And on in those rare times I do, I drink tap water. I have never understood bottled water. I envision a bottled water factory where all the bottles are filled from the city water supply. I think I remember a 20/20 report that confirmed this. In fact, they said that most city's water is cleaner than some bottled water varieties.

And what is with all the varieties of bottle water. I see Ozark, Aquafina, Nestles, Sam's Club, and many others. I have tried a few, and guess what? They all taste the same! I can tell the difference between diet Pepsi and diet Coke. I prefer diet Pepsi and would pay a few cents more to get it. Do yo know what brand of bottled water I like best? The cheapest one. There is no difference, so how can a bottled water company achieve brand loyalty? That's why you never see a commercial where one brand claims to be better than their competition. They can't! They are both the same!

To me, bottle water remains one of the great mysteries of life.

3 comments:

  1. Something tells me Mrs. McGoo is about to chime in....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha. LOVE Mr. McGoo's comment because he is so right...

    "I need flavor. Isn't coffee, tea, juice and soda most water?" - THESE WORDS ARE MY HUBBY'S, minus the coffee part. The dude wont drink reg water, as hard as I try. It would really help in many regards, but nope "where's the flavor". I wonder if it's a man/female thing?

    I'm not a bottle water fan, however - tap for me!!! I'm blessed to live where tap water is amazing, I feel like the bottled water should be saved for when you visit a place without healthy water (i.e. Ethiopia, maybe). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Terri has found the fountain of youth judging by the fact that she really does look the same!! She looks amazing! Happy Birthday Terri and go drink some water Frank, just put a squeeze of lime or lemon in it

    ReplyDelete