Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Winter Drearies

The holidays are over. No more long weekends until Memorial Day. Memorial Day seems like an eternity away. We are currently stuck in the dog days of winter with the worst of winter's wrath still ahead of us. The skies are gray, the air is frigid. The cold seeps into the house through invisible cracks. The forecast calls for a few more inches of snow over the foot and a half already on the ground. Temperatures are expected to hit -10 before the end of this week.

For me, this is the worst stretch of the year. Days with bearable weather are few rare, and cabin fever is knocking on my front door. The cars are covered with salt and road grime, and it is too cold to wash them. The grimes seems to find its way into the house by hitching a ride on the bottom of our shoes.

The start of the new year brings tax season. Where did I put all those receipts for deductible expenses? How much did I pay in taxes? How much more do I need to send them?

At work most of my time will be spent doing performance reviews for my 27 direct reports, and then setting 2010 objectives for each. I feel like a human resources administrator until this completes around the end of February.

You might have noticed a negative tone. I hate January, but don't let me keep you from having a nice day.

2 comments:

  1. Ebenezer,

    I hear if you complain about it, it makes it all better.

    That's at least what I tell my wife. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur that January days are some of the toughest of the year motivation wise... it's too cold... too dark... too indoors... I can understand what you're saying... We bought a Wii to entertain us during such a season (MUCH FUN) and then we have that whole school thing we're pursuing to keep us on our toes.

    Here's to finding the good out of January. ;)

    ReplyDelete