Monday, January 18, 2010

Old

I hate feeling old, but it is better than the alternative. As you know, I have taken on a large remodel project at the house. I am pretty good working with tools, can frame in a room, hang sheet rock, do trim carpentry, and paint. My problem is becoming the grunt work required to prepare for this work.

First the framing lumber was deposited on our driveway. Because of the excessively snowy winter, Lowes cannot put it around back in a much more convenient spot. So that meant I had to carry 200 pieces of lumber from the driveway around back and into our basement. That was not too bad since I could limit the number of pieces I carried at one time. It was just a lot of trips.

Yesterday, the sheet rock was delivered. All 65 sheets. Two sheets are attached to each other, so that is the minimum load. Two sheets weigh around 150 -200 pounds. I asked my nephew Michael to swing by and help since this is a 2 man job at minimum. Michael is in his early 20's, works construction and is far more fit than this 53 year old wreck. We started hauling the sheet rock around back two sheets at a time, and I am holding up okay.

It was not difficult lifting or carrying the sheet rock laying flat, but my arms would begin to burn when we positioned the sheet vertically to get in a door. That would essentially put all the weight on a single arm and hand. Each trip began to hurt just a bit more than the last. After 10 trips I began to notice that my arms would not recover quick enough to be ready when we returned to get the next load. I called a short break.

After 18 loads moved with 15 yet to go, I was spent. Michael could probably have finished, but I could not. This was the first time I can ever remember being so tired and sore that I had to stop before a job was finished. I will get to the remaining 30 sheets in the next few days. The thought of cutting, lifting and securing each piece seems draughting at present, but will get done soon.

My next project is to procure enough Extra Strength Advil to finish the job.

4 comments:

  1. That's what you've got that big family up there for. Son-in-laws and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you have a stud of a wife to help you carry the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Stud of a wife. NICE! I concur! You go ATerri!

    ReplyDelete