Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Project

Terri and I have committed to a new home improvement project. We decided that a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home with a fully furnished man cave is not big enough for 2 people. So the remaining unfinished portion of our basement is being converted to a fourth bedroom and third bedroom.

I took the week off between Christmas and New Years to begin the projects. First, I had about 200 sticks of lumber delivered. Since we have nearly a foot of snow on the ground, the lumber was dropped in our driveway. So my first task was to move all 200 sticks from the driveway to the basement. That required a couple hours of labor.

Then I started the frame carpentry. I was able to complete most of the work in 2 days. I still have a day of details to finish before the walls and ceilings are ready for sheet rock. I am sore. Surprisingly, the sorest part of my body are my forearms and hands. I guess all that keyboarding I do doesn't keep the muscles strong.

Over the next couple weeks, brother in law Steve will to do the rough in electrical. A rough in plumber will be called in to get the bathroom water and drains in. I will cut the new doorway from the man cave into the addition, as well as get everything sheet rock ready. I may try to do the duct work myself although at first glance it seems to be a skinny guy job that I am not qualified to do.

Once all that is done, the torture of sheet rock begins. It starts with the delivery of 65 4x8 sheets delivered to my driveway. Moving that to the basement will be much more work than the lumber was. Then each will be cut and installed. Taping, mudding and smoothing will take several weeks. I hate sheet rock.

Once done, the end is near. Trim carpentry, paint, tile and finish should complete before Spring.

I will post pictures once there is more that studs to show. Who will be the first to use the new second master suite? Any volunteers?

1 comment:

  1. I know you don't think you're "that guy", I'm married to him... but you can always throw some "this guy" action over to my man too! ;) Now THAT'S a project, UFrank. We will gladly try out the new suite upon completion!

    ReplyDelete