Thursday, May 5, 2011

Smokers are Pigs

The weather is beginning to look more consistenly like Spring, and I have restarted my habit of walking the campus each day for the purposes of exercise and stress reduction.  My route through the campus takes me past several areas designated for the vanishing breed called cigarette smokers.  I am amazed at how disconnected they are from their surroundings. 

Smoker areas are littered with cigarette butts.  They simply throw them down instead of using the provided ash cans.  What amazes me more is how they also throw down so much other trash, be it celophane cigarette package wrappers, empty packs, gum wrappers, or anything else they have no need of.  I have come to the conclusion, in a blinding flash of the obvious, that cigarette smokers are pigs.  They foul any area where they are allowed to congregate.  They are completely oblivious to how they take advantage of the courtesies extended to them.  Even a dog knows not to poop in its own bed.

Judging from the past 10 years, I expect that society over the next 10 years will eliminate the courtesies smokers now receive.  It is getting rarer to see a smoking section at any public establishment, and almost all smoking now occurs outdoors.  Even these rare areas are being moved farther and farther from normal egress to and from buildings.  The grade schoolers of today do not know what a typewriter is, and many have never seen a wired phone in their home.  The next generation my never see smokers as it will be banned for all public places.  Good riddance.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful it was never a desire, nor a struggle for me. Yuck

    ReplyDelete