Wednesday, May 26, 2010

American Idol - The Finale

Tonight (as I write this) Crystal Bowersox will compete in the AI finale against Lee DeWyze. Crystal was the early favorite, but Lee has come on strong the past few weeks. My prediction is the winner will be decided on popularity, not singing talent. This bodes poorly for Crystal. Let me explain.

During the AI season, fans of the show begin to align with one of the contestants. The contestant with the most aligners (fans) move from one week to the next. Once you get to the top 3 or 4, each contestant is receiving a substantial number of votes. As the fourth and third place contestant is eliminated from the show, huge blocks of votes move to one of the survivors.

Knowing this make picking the winner from the top 2 or 3 is much easier than the loser in early rounds. This year, Casey James was eliminated from the top 3. Casey is eye candy for the female fans. His block of votes will most likely swing disproportionately in favor of Lee and not Crystal.

Talent has little to do with the final results - both have talent and will enjoy a professional music career. But my prediction is that Lee will win the final popularity contest and be the 2010 American Idol.

But could Crystal pull off an upset? Yes. She is capable of having a moment as she did early in the competition. And Lee could vomit on stage. Either or both could swing the vote to Crystal. But if both have mediocre performances, anoint Lee with the title.


UPDATED: Wednesday morning - It got interesting last night. Crystal nailed 3 songs while Lee did not. He didn't vomit on stage, but might have spit up a little. Regardless, Crystal turned in a performance that may be enough to overcome Lee's popularity advantage. We will see tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Didn't have a chance to watch it yet, school till 915pm keeps me busy Tues nights - HOWEVER, others concur that Crystal rocked it. Others have also said that Lee wasn't given many good songs, and that Crystal's selection were tailor made for her.
    We shall see...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those "others", like her husband concur. Lee, for the first time I've seen, did not sing well. He looked disinterested (more so than normal) and his songs were not WOW moment songs. Crystal sang songs that were tailor made for her.

    I said a while back I thought that Lee should sing "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and I still stand by my assertion.

    If Crystal wins it, it will be because she earned it last night. If Lee wins it, you will know that he was going to win it no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do not think last night's performances mean anything. Lee will win the populaity contest. Life ain't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think lee is more commercial and can be played the the radio. I would buy his cd. I think crystal is a great singer... but I wouldn't but her cd.... so I think that decides who wins also.... GO LEE!!!

    ReplyDelete