Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sam's vs. Costco

It is that time of year again when I must decide whether to renew my Sam's and Costco memberships. Every year I vow to select only one, but each year I renew them both. Each has their strengths.

Costco has the absolute best meat in town. Every cut is noticeably better than grocery store quality. I suspect Sam's has good meat, but why change if you are completely happy with what you are getting?

Costco also has the most quantity and best quality of free samples. This is an important modern phenomenon has rapidly expanded to other stores, but Costco still does it best. It started out as 5-6 sample booths on weekends. Now Costco is giving away product samples every day. On weekends you can taste 10 or more different things. I can delay a meal after trying the Costco samples. My grand kids can fill up on them, and I do admit that on occasion, I have taken them to Costco for a free lunch. Sam's has decent sampling too, but they lack the quantity.

Sam's wins when I consider buying American. If everything else is equal, I will select the American made product. But even that principal goes out the window when there is a significant price difference. I always go cheap. I recently heard that Sam's and Costco sell at break even cost. They make their profit on the membership fees. I don't know if that is true. It sure sounds like a lot of effort for $40 a year profit per customer.

Cost is a toss up. Both have their better values and I cannot predict who will have the best deal on any specific item. I have bought small and large ticket items from both stores and felt I got a great deal. Sam's is the clear winner in the areas of cat litter and aluminum foil. They sell a non-clumping cat litter that Costco does not carry. We have tried other brands available at Costco, but Terri demands that our cat only use the non-clumping formula. Terri also buys aluminium foil in bulk for use in her business. Sam's is the only place that carries it.

So the decision is made. I will renew my Costco membership because of the meat and free samples. I will also renew my Sam's membership for aluminum foil and non-clumping cat litter.

4 comments:

  1. It should have read like this....

    "So the decision is made. I will renew my Costco membership for my interests. I will also renew my Sam's membership for Terri's interest."

    That sound about right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. your blog will still not automatically update me on when you have new post. At least it doesnt show up on my blog or my dashboard. craziness. Just had to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Terri is interested in the clumping cat litter
    p

    ReplyDelete