Thursday, December 3, 2009

Passing of the Torch

Just as in the Olympics, the torch of tradition is sometimes passed from one family member to another. I have seen this torch passed within my family during the Thanksgiving holiday and will see it passed again this coming Christmas season.

You might wonder what torch I am speaking of, so let me start by describing our Thanksgiving tradition. For all but one of the last 32 Thanksgivings, my mother in law, Mary Hansen, prepared the majority of our Thanksgiving feast. The lone exception was a year we all traveled to Memphis and had our holiday dinner at my brother and sister in laws. Even then, I am sure Mary did her share of the cooking. Each of the other 31 Thanksgiving turkeys were prepared by Mary, along with her special gravy, stuffing, cole slaw, cherry pie, and other specialties.

That tradition was halted this year due to Mary's cancer. She was not able to prepare any of the traditional dishes, and will likely not be able to do so in the future. So the torch was passed - to my sister in law, Lisa Hansen. Twenty years ago I would not have thought this could be remotely possible. Lisa was not known for, or interested in cooking. Her "specialty dish" brought to every holiday dinner was green bean casserole.

Not so anymore. Lisa has become very accomplished in the kitchen. Her potato soup is "to die for". Recently, for Terri and I, she prepared a dinner of steak, twice-baked potato and lettuce wedge with home made blue cheese dressing. The meal was better than found at many fine restaurants. And Thanksgiving diner 2009 will be remembered as the passing of the torch from Mary to Lisa. Not only did Lisa prepare the turkey, she also added her own twist by preparing her specialty, potato soup.

It is all too evident that meals of this quality are not just thrown together. The amount of effort required to cook several dishes simultaneously and have each ready at the same time is more than talent. It also requires precise planning, preparation and execution. Our dinner was every bit as good as what Mary was able to prepare over the last 32 years.

For that I am thankful and I think I speak for the rest of the family too. Thank you Steve and Lisa for opening your home and for the effort required to maintain the tradition. I am already looking forward to next year.

3 comments:

  1. here here!
    bravo!

    DELISH and a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and enjoyed it all !

    ReplyDelete
  3. *blushing*

    ....and it's about time Friday Night Steak Night made your blog! :P

    ReplyDelete