Wednesday, April 13, 2011

School Lunches

Earlier this week I learned the school my grand daughter goes to requires that her sack lunch include 2 fruits and 1 vegetable.  My first reaction was the policy was insane.  What are they doing?  Do they think that school lunches are more nutritious than those carried in, so they need to enforce a nutrition policy?  Or is it that a potential exists for "lunch envy"  when one student sees a better tasting lunch brought in by another student.  I am sure that would set off a few riots in the kindergarten lunch room at her Christian school.  Maybe even a food fight reminiscent of "Animal House".

This was new information to me, and if still a parent of a grade school child would set me off - sorta like when my daughter's kindergarten teacher began a policy of assigning homework every day.  She really wasn't assigning homework to the student, but rather to the parent.  Assignments were things like "count the number of red items in your house", or "dress a bag of in-the-shell peanuts in authentic Civil War clothing and reenact the battle of Gettysburg".  Okay, only one of these was true.  But the point is that it forced the parent to spend considerable time with their child each day to finish a stupid pointless assignment.  Have you met Allison?

Then I find out on the news that in other areas of the country, certain items such as potato chips, cupcakes, soda, and Twinkies are banned from sack lunches. And one school in Chicago has banned students from bringing in sack lunches!  That goes way too far.  I am of the opinion that a parent should be allowed to send Red Bull and Cotton Candy in their own child's sack lunch if that is what they want them to have for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment