Thursday, April 28, 2011

I Could've Made a Difference

A couple of weeks ago I anointed the KC Royals as the 2011 World Series Champions.  They were 10-4 at the time, in first place, and looking good in all areas of the game.  Since then they have gone 2-8 and looked like the Royals we have come to expect.  I now wonder if they can become the champs.  I can't help but think that I could've made a difference.  If I were just the starting shortstop, things could be a lot better.  A couple of key hits in crucial situations, a nicely turned double play, taking an extra pitch and drawing a walk, or just keeping the clubhouse mood positive.  They could be 18-6 and the surprise of the league.  If only I were the starting shortstop.  I could've made the difference. 

On Wednesday evening I watched American Idol.  The talent level of the contestants are no different than prior years, yet the program is no longer enjoyable.  I really don't care who is the 2011 American Idol.  What is the difference?  The judges.  What a shame.  Each one takes their turn saying the same thing.  "You are so great", "That was beautiful", "You rock!", "You are in it to win it".  I guess that would be true if each contestant was that good, but they are not.  When the judges only provide positive feedback, they cheat the performer on what is needed to improve.  They are playing the grandparent role, and not the coach.

Simon knew how to honestly assess the performance and provide candid feedback.  He was also entertaining when he did it.  I should have been named Simon's replacement.  I can provide candid feedback, like "That was unbearable, sort of like fingernails on a chalkboard" or "You suck".  That is what this year's show lacks.  Honest feedback.  I could've made a difference. 

4 comments:

  1. This blog blows. I really had high hopes for you when you began to look at decor in a different way and when you started DS of the week. But this just doesn't cut it.

    Bad week. Maybe we'll keep you around for next week to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Norm, or is this Floyd?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that second comment !!! But the first wasn't bad, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha...just to clarify. i have no idea who norm or floyd is. i can't be held responsible.

    ReplyDelete