Monday, April 18, 2011

I Like to Watch - Jane Eyre

On Saturday I gave -T the chance to get even with me for making her see "The Music Never Stopped".  She made sure the score would be even by the end of the day by selecting "Jane Eyre".  But like the good husband I am, I did not complain and accompanied her with the obediency I have instilled into both our children, and was subsequently passed to my grand kids.

I found the movie to be a classic cinematic masterpiece, well acted and with a certain elegance few movies can claim.  The plot was complex and brought surprises at every turn. The story went something like this.

People can be mean.  Jane was sad.  People were mean to Jane.  Jane Eyre was a sad child and a sad teenager.  Jane Eyre was a movie about mean people and a sad person.   I picked that up during the first 10 minutes.  About then Jane blasted right through the cup of coffee I had downed from the concession stand and hit me like a horse tranquillizer.

The next thing I know is that the lady a few seats down had to go to the restroom, so I woke up and let her pass.  I noticed that Jane was still sad, but also forgiving to an aunt who was mean to her.  The horse tranquillizer kicked in again.

The next thing I know is that the movie had an ending and -T woke me up.  The closing credits were playing sad music, so I don't think much of the plot changed while I snoozed.  Jane Eyre was about meanness and sadness.  Oh, yeah, and forgiveness.  I suspect it may be a movie they turn into a book.  Sort of like Les Misérables, which was a much better movie than Jane Eyre.  After watching Les Misérables, I thought it could become a classic if they turned it into a book.  A few days later I was at a book store, and bam! There it was.  Les Misérables, the book.  They must have had it ready to go when the movie was released.

-T liked Jane Eyre.  You will have to ask her about it.  I think the moral of the story is that people can be mean.  We should forgive them.  And that -T and I are now even.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Reads like an Andy Rooney script from 60 Minutes.

    Although, I probably would have liked the movie, too.

    ReplyDelete