Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Like to Listen - The Incredible Machine

Earlier this week, Sugarland released their fourth CD.  I am a Sugarland fan.  Heck, I practically discovered them.  Their first CD was a brilliant Country/Pop record that established Jennifer Nettles as one of the best vocalist from any genre of music.  Subsequent CDs continued to highlight her vocals.  Air play featured their commercial Pop recordings, but each CD had a treasure of pure Modern Country songs.  I had learned to disregard the tunes heard on Country radio knowing the best songs were the ones they didn't play.

So last Tuesday, I visited the local Best Buy and bought their latest CD, The Incredible Machine.  As I usually do, I rip the wrapper from the CD and deposit it in the Best Buy trash can as I exit their store.  Once back in my car, I pop the CD in the player and turn my attention to the linear notes.  Jennifer and Kristian wrote every song.  So far, so good.  I always give extra credit when artists write and play their own stuff.  Only 11 cuts, that is a little light for a Sugarland CD.

1. "All We Are"
2. "Incredible Machine"

First couple of songs play and I am thinking, this must be their Pop/Rock stuff.  Seems to be a little more to the Rock side than normal, but that's okay.  I like Rock music too.

3. "Stuck Like Glue"

This song has been playing the Country stations for several weeks.  Didn't like it much when I first heard it, still don't.

4. "Tonight"
5. "Stand Up"


Okay, this is getting serious.  Five tracks into an 11 track CD and not a Country tune yet.
6. "Incredible Machine (Interlude)"
7. "Every Girl Like Me"

Alright, cut six was the first song they have ever released that did not feature Jennifer Nettles vocals.  That was interesting.
8. "Little Miss"

Cut eight, that sounded familiar.  I finally found a modern Country song.  Pretty good one too.

9. "Find the Beat Again"
10. "Wide Open"

Back to the Pop/Rock.

11. "Shine The Light"

I spotted this one quickly when scanning the linear notes.  Shine the Light is a song written by Jennifer Nettles and recorded by her alone.  Just Nettles singing and playing the piano.  After 9 of the first 10 cuts disappointed, I hung my hopes on this last ballad to justify the CD purchase.  Reminiscent of "Stay", Shine the Light delivers.  I expect to see this song performed at all the live awards programs in 2011.  Great song, great performance.

So now I'm wondering, who will play songs from this CD?  Did Sugarland just walk away from their Country fan base and completely cross over to Pop?  If this CD is what we can expect in the future, the answer is yes.  The Country music stations continue to play Stuck Like Glue, but I am not sure why.  Maybe they were as surprised as I was by the new release.  Or maybe all you need is a southern twang to be considered country by them.

The Incredible Machine is a good CD.  The music is upbeat and energetic. Jennifer Nettle's incredible vocal talent is featured on all but one track.  It will get a lot of play on Pop radio stations, and the Country stations that play a lot of cross over music.  The CD may even get a few awards next year.  Shine the Light might be the grammy for best song.  But Johnny Cash will turn over in his grave if this CD wins an Academy of Country Music award.  This CD ain't Country.

1 comment:

  1. :) hmmm... when will I see you next to get a burned copy. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete