Friday, June 4, 2010

I'm Eating Fish!

I can relate to a scene in one of my favorite movies "What About Bob?" In the movie, Bill Murray played an excessive compulsive patient of Richard Dreyfus, the shrink. One of Murray's phobias was his fear of water. He would not go sailing. Towards the end of the movie, he conquers that fear in a scene where he and his life jacket are lashed to the mainstay of a sailing boat. He is happily screaming "I am sailing! Look at me, I'm sailing! I am a sailor!".

For 4 years during high school and a year after graduation, I worked at Red Lobster. I saw first hand how shrimp could quickly go bad. I saw how one rotten oyster could fill the entire restaurant with a foul odor that persisted for several minutes. I could not bear to eat any type of seafood. Just in the last few years I have tried to develop a taste for seafood again.

While in North Carolina I would regularly order crab cakes. In Destin, I began to try fish. I found that I like broiled or blackened amberjack and maui maui. Vacation to the Gulf now means a regular diet of seafood. Look! I am eating fish! I am a fish eater!

4 comments:

  1. Not a one. P.F. Changs last night, but that was the choice made by aTerri and SILC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.F. Changs? I'm soooo disappointed. You can get that anywhere.

    ReplyDelete