Monday, June 21, 2010

I Like Soccer, but ...

This World Cup soccer championship is hard for me to understand.  I realize that soccer is the dominate world sport outside of the United States, but this world championship tournament is dull.  I know soccer talent is better outside of America, where kids start playing as soon as they begin to walk.  They are simply better than Americans at the game because they have played more.  It is not the talent, but the international game I am having difficulty with.

Just look at the scores from the World Cup.  Most are ties and many are 0-0 ties.  Is there any other game in the world where two teams compete for nearly 2 hours and neither score?  I would not call a 0-0 game a tie, I would call it a colossal waste of everyones time including the fans.  And why would any world championship allow individual bouts to end in ties?  Doesn't that set the final result up for ridicule and second guessing?  For example, say that England won it all.  Wouldn't the US have a valid claim that England is no better than they are since they played each other to a tie?

I also have a problem with a sport where a 2-1 game is described as an offensive explosion.  Three total goals?  Give me a break.  Three goals in 2 hours is just a slightly better than absolutely boring. Irritating if you consider the incessant vuvuzela blowing by fans.

I like soccer, but I will not waste my time watching men exaggerating their falls and subsequent pain, and then play each other to a tie.  Give me a good old competitive youth soccer game any day.  Let them use shoot outs to break ties.  I see why international soccer has never become a major professional sport in the United States.  Chess is more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment