Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Geology of my Neighborhood

A recent blog provided a description of the summer project I have taken on. For part of the project I have scoured the neighborhood scavenging rocks for a drainage area. I have been fascinated by the variety of rocks found naturally in the area. I am aware that my neighborhood was once in the near distant past was a Christmas tree farm. The remnants of that farm are scatter through out in the form of Scotch Pines, spruces and various firs and cedar trees. My project has got me wondering on the longer term geologic history of the area.

I have found rocks that I did not expect to find. Most of the rock formations are sandstone. But I have also found shale, chert, and limestone. These are all types of sedimentary rocks. Sedimentary rocks are formed as fine particles or organic material are slowly deposited in layers and compressed by water. From this I can assume that my neighborhood was once under deep water, possibly under an ocean. I have also found quite a bit of river rocks. Those rocks are smooth and rounded and are formed by years of flowing water. So my neighborhood was once in a river, or a path that the ocean took when filling or receding.

I have also found granite and what I believe to be very impure rose quartz. These two rocks are typically found together, and tell of another geologic period. Granite is part of the earth's crust and found just below sedimentary formations. As the earth's crust moves, granite will be pushed to the surface. Sometimes this pressure forms mountains. The granite I have found looked identical to what I have seen on the top of Pike's Peak. My neighborhood may once have been part of a mountain range.

My fascination with these finds is increased with the knowledge of how my little world has changed over the eons. It makes my significant efforts of moving a few rocks the around neighborhood for decorative reasons seem so insignificant. Some future day, a glacier may push my efforts away like wind moves specs of dust. Or a mountain will rise again from the earth's crust or a river divert and polish those rocks smooth. Human efforts are so temporary. Everything we work to create will be gone in a thousand years if not much sooner.

This thought is lost on those who buy into the global warming hoax. Like so many liberal beliefs, it is based on extreme short term thinking. It was hot today or yesterday, so I believe global warming is true. In fact, a century of warming would prove nothing. The fact remains that man is insignificant. The earth will cool and it will warm as it has done in the past. Nothing man has done or can do will change that. If you really want a laugh, consider the recent article where scientists are developing plans to paint rooftops white, or seed the clouds in an effort to cool the planet. Just another example of mankind believing they can control God's creation. Only the things of heaven will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment