Thursday, October 4, 2012

Reveiwing Debate #1


As I am watching the first Presidential debate last night, my mind tried to find the correct analogy.  Sports analogies were dominate.  Was I watching a string of touchdowns or home runs?  Was it a knockout?  Did Romney blow the doors off of Obama?  Then the perfect analogy hit me.  It wasn’t a sports analogy, but rather a business analogy that I have seen dozens of times.  Last night, I saw seasoned executive matching wits with a new manager.  

The analogy fits perfectly.  Romney is an executive with over twenty years of experience.  Obama is a community organizer thrust into the presidency without the needed executive experience.  He is tackling the job as a manager, not an executive.  This became apparent when he repeatedly asked for details on Romney’s plans.  That is how a manager operates.  Romney was completely correct when he pointed out the job of a president is to lay out his principals, gain consensus by working with both parties in congress, and make the case with the American people. That is how an executive gets things done.  An inexperienced manager will dictate how something must be done, and push it through based solely on the strength of their own will power - sort of how Obamacare was passed through the congress.  

Romney did a great job of making all the key points, and doing so without blatant ridicule of Obama’s performance over the past few years.  By the end of the debate, I was pretty confident that Romney won it handily.  But knowing that I can be biased, I decided to watch a couple of NBC channels to see how their bias was reported.  I first tuned to NBC.  Wow, they were agreeing with my judgment!  As hard as it must have been for their news department to report, Romney had done well, in fact, much better than Obama.  For the ultimate test, I then tuned to MSNBC with Racheal Maddow, Chris Matthews, and a few more from the looney left.  Same story.  Romney wins.  The only detectible difference was the sense of rage I noticed.  Chris Matthews was angry.  He spewed venom on Obama for his lackluster performance.  I guess the thrill was gone from Mr. Tingle’s leg.

It really isn’t hard to understand why Obama did so poorly.  He wasn’t prepared for the job, and since taking it the press has not challenged him.  Obama doesn’t do press conferences, preferring soft news interviews with friendly hosts.  When you are never stretched, you get lazy.  Romney directly challenged Obama for the first time in 4 years.  Obama crumbled.

I suspect that Obama will come out swinging in the next debate, but also confident that it will hardly matter.  Obama is out of his depth.  He is no match for Romney's experience.  The next debates will end much like the first. Romney wins.  His election is almost certain.

1 comment:

  1. Did you see the interview with Al Gore? It was the altitude that affected Obama's performance....
    Lyndy

    ReplyDelete