Friday, December 9, 2011

Between now and January 2013

Hello, it's me again.  I have intentionally ignored this blog and enjoyed every minute of it.  In case you missed it, the days of one blog every day except Sunday are over.  I found the discipline needed to maintain that pace to be like my personal ball and chain.  "What would I write next?" was my all-consuming thought.  I am glad I did it for a period of 2 years, but even more glad that I have now broken the habit.  I blog only when I want to.  I haven't wanted to much lately. 

While not blogging, I have kept up with the political happenings.  Nothing much has changed in Washington.  In fact, the cancer of that city has only grown larger.  The Left and the Right have become even more entrenched in their positions.  In a way, that makes predicting the future very easy.  I am quite confident in this:  Nothing of substance will happen in Congress or the White House between now and January 2013 when the newly elected president and Congress are inaugurated.  Extension of the payroll tax holiday will not be passed.  Neither the President's, nor the Republican's Job Bills will pass.  For the next 13-14 months, nothing will happen.

Why?  Because the Left is committed to playing class warfare games.  They say the rich have trampled the middle class and they must pay.  The Left will not agree to anything that does not raise substantial revenue from the upper class.  On the other side, the Right will not agree to anything that raises taxes.  They have pledged this to the electorate that gave them a House majority in 2010.  Raising taxes against that pledge would be political suicide.

Gridlock is more locked than ever before.  But the good news is that it really doesn't matter.  America will continue to work much as it has over the past 10 years of gridlock.  Citizens do what they do regardless of politics.  Businesses still produce what is in demand.  Consumers will still spend money on what they want or need.  Capitalism will still work, all be it at a slower pace.  What does matter is the election of 2012.  Next November, those citizens that care enough to vote will either give power to one party or split the executive and legislative branches.  At this time, it appears the Right will succeed in consolidating power, but that could change.  If the polls turn against the No Tax pledge, the Right will see their solidarity evaporate. 

It is no surprise that I hope and pray the Republicans take the White House, hold the House and get a 60+ seat majority in the Senate.  That is the only way gridlock will be broken in a positive way.  As the framers of the Constitution intended, the electorate will determine the direction.  Who will win?  The side that fosters hate and discontent within the citizens, or the side that currently hold to a principle that put them in office?  It seems an easy choice, but so many are deluded into thinking that their prosperity is determined by politicians of any flavor.  Now it's looking good for the good guys, but it ain't over yet.  November 2012 can't come soon enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment