Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Beale Street

Friday afternoon was spent at the National Civil Rights museum in downtown Memphis.   Friday evening was spent just a few blocks away at a location known simply as Beale Street.  Beale Street is the club district in Memphis and boasts a talented and diverse line up of local bar bands.  I had not been to Beale Street since BILL's bachelor party some 30+ years ago.

But BILS wanted to go Beale Street, sort of his last hurrah before going under the knife.  He has shoulder surgery schedule for this afternoon.  So BILS, SILL, nephew Willy and I headed downtown for dinner and to catch some music.  Since I am a servant at heart, I volunteered to be the designated driver.  I didn't encourage the other 3 to take advantage of my service, however they did.

Our first stop was Blues City Cafe to continue my pursuit of the best barbecue in America.  I didn't find it, but the local ribs were fine.  The band was supposed to start at 7:00, which turned into 7:30 and finally 8:00.  Within a few minutes of their first note, we all agreed to find a better spot for music.  Just two doors down, we settled on a place where the Patrick Dodd trio was playing.  Patrick is a gifted blues guitarist.  We spent the next two hours enjoying a couple of sets.

That is where the trouble began.  Nephew Willy spotted a Petrone Tequila logo on the bar.  Three or four shots later, nephew Willy took a nap.   BILS was keeping up with nephew Willy and in fact took the lead a few minutes later with his fourth or fifth shot.  BILS was tolerating the alcohol far better than nephew Willy.  In fact, BILS was having a pretty good time which would continue for the next hour or so.  Nephew Willy's good time ended just a few seconds after the following video was shot.


5 comments:

  1. I'm disappointed there are no photos from Beale Street. Ps. Don't forget the "E" on Beale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see why you need that senior citizen discount now. Aside from Mrs McGoo's corrects, I'll provide you with a few more.

    If you went to Blues City Cafe you may have gotten better ribs than a place I've never heard of.

    I can assure you that Patrick Dodd is a much better musician than Phillip. But that's only because I don't know a Phillip.

    Maybe you've been rooting for the wrong initials for all these years and meant to say UK

    ReplyDelete