Wednesday, September 22, 2010

30 Years Ago Today

Today is a milestone.  My first child has reached the ripe old age of 30.  Wow.  It makes me feel old, but I must remember that I was only a child of 24 when Lyndy was born.  A lot was different then.  We lived in a small 2 bedroom house in Shawnee.  I weighed 160 lbs and had brown hair.  I liked dogs.  Terri was a rookie hairdresser working 5 days a week, because her income was sorely needed to meet the mortgage and car payments.  I painted houses for a living. 

I remember the moment we knew that parenthood was only a few hours away.  I was working when the boss' wife drove up to tell me that Terri was in labor.  Since the work sites never had working telephones and cell phones were still years away, Terri called her to get in touch with me.  I remember that I was pretty scared.  A child would definitely disrupt our lives.  Could we afford a child now, much less in 10 years when she would need braces, or in 18 years with college tuition?  Would I need to suddenly become responsible?

I immediately left the job site to take Terri to the hospital.  I know I was in a hurry getting home.  Visions of birthing a baby while on the way to the hospital forced me to break the speed limit and screech around corners.  Hurry wasn't needed.  As with many first deliveries, there are a lot of false starts.  For a couple of days we made trips back and forth to the hospital.  Th doctors would send us home saying that nothing was close yet, come back when it hurts more.  Terri spent the evening walking up and down our street trying to hurry what only comes natural.

Finally Terri progressed to a point that she was admitted to the hospital.  Twenty-four hours later, Lyndy decided to show up.  The joy of seeing our first child was quickly dampened by the announcement that we just had a girl.  I'm kidding.  It was dampened by the medical staff who quickly ushered Lyndy away to the infant ICU.  It seems that due to the length of labor, she had soiled her environment and then swallowed or inhaled the amniotic fluid.  The quick move to ICU was only precautionary, but still had Terri and I worried.  We didn't see much of Lyndy the first day or so until the doctors believed she was okay.

Not only was Lyndy our first child, she was our parent's first grandchild and my grandfather's and Terri's grandmother's first great grand child.  A few days after her birth, we brought Lyndy home to the new nursery built in our old TV room.  This was the first of many such inconveniences a child can bring. 

During her early years, Lyndy was a difficult child.  In response to not getting her way, she would fling herself on the ground and throw a tantrum that would make Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton smile.  When given a time out, she would tear the wall paper off her bedroom walls.  Many beatings later, Terri and I were successful in breaking her spirit and increasing her compliancy. 

Lyndy became the son I never had.  She loves sports as much as I do.  With her, it was soccer.  She also played softball, but could never overcome her "throws like a girl" disability.  Soccer was her sport.  Lyndy was also my fishing buddy. One fall day, we stood on the banks of the Antioch Park lake casting our lines with no real luck.  A passer by saw us and commented just loud enough for Lyndy and I to hear, "look at the cute boy fishing with his father".  At the time, Lyndy had a bowl haircut, wore baseball caps and liked to wear  overalls.  She was often mistaken for a boy.  On this day she simply shot a killer look back at the person and grumbled, but said nothing.

Her teenage years were unremarkable.  Lyndy never really had a rebellious period.  She was always home by 10:00, did her homework and kept her room fairly clean - the exact opposite of her younger sister. I guess Terri and I were at fault by not administering the same level of beat down on Allison.  The most dramatic change from these years was the transition from a girl that was often confused for a boy, to a beautiful young woman who could never be.  One thing is for certain, Terri and I make good looking babies.  Lyndy married Dan Farr in August of 2001 and continued the good looking baby legacy by delivering 3 beautiful grand kids. 

Last month, Terri and I watched te 3 grand kids for a few days while Dan and Lyndy enjoyed a cruise.  Out respect for Lyndy only grew stronger during that time.  Her children (director princess, delicate flower, and energizer bunny) are so active and energetic, we are in awe on how she makes it through the day and accomplish anything.  We also see what great children she is raising and how she is passing on her strong character and beliefs.

So on your 30th birthday, we wish you nothing but the best. You continue to make your mother and I proud.  We love you and your family. 

An remember that 30 is not old.  It is the doorway into the happiest, most fulfilling part of your life. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL POST!
    One of my favorites. Ever.
    It could have something to do with the fact that it's all about my cuz! :)

    The nicknames for the g-kids are hysterical. Thank you. ;)

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYNDY! MUCH LOVE FROM TN! Miss you guys lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. -H

    Your cuz isn't too happy with me now.

    It seems that someone spent a lot of time creating a couple of 18" x 30" posters and placing them in the neighborhood last night. By coincidence, those posters contained the same pictures from this blog, so naturally I became the prime suspect.

    Convicted without a shred of evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 is great and young. Now 50...that's old

    ReplyDelete