Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Now That I Have a Few Minutes

In May it will have been 2 years since my last blog post.  Believe it or not, I have missed the routine of thinking about what to write and then committing it to a blog.  Hence, the title of this post - Now That I Have a Few Minutes. 

As of March 10th, I became unemployed.  Something that I have dreaded most of my professional career has become more of a relief.  Fortunately, my former employer provided a separation package that allows me to take some time and find new work that I find interesting.  Even so, brief periods of anxiety have met this milestone for no good reason other than I am unemployed.

I estimate that I have held a job continuously for the past 46-48 years.  My first job was the Kansan newspaper route in my neighborhood.  Every day except Saturday, I would receive a bundle of newspapers at the end of my driveway, roll and band or bag them, and set out on my bike to deliver each to a home on my route.  Once a month I would collect the monthly subscription from each customer and pay the Kansan for the papers and supplies.  I kept whatever money was left.

From there I graduated to Kansas City Star/Times delivery from a truck driven by the route owner.  Next was my dream job of bussing tables (for $1.60 hr.) at the brand new Red Lobster in town. I was able to buy a new car on that wage. The Red Lobster gig became a 4 year progression from busboy, to dishwasher, backup cook, fry man, broiler man and finally, the expeditor responsible for running the kitchen. 

From there I was hired by a property management company where I mowed, cleaned clubhouses, maintained exterior lighting and whatever else they wanted me to do. I briefly held a job as a draftsman at a professional custom electronics company.  Briefly because I had no training as a draftsman, but it took them 2 weeks to discover it.  From there, I painted houses before finding my first big boy job at the local cable company.  That job prepared me to join the large telecommunications company, for whom I have worked directly or indirectly for the past 18 years.

Now I am unemployed.  On day one I started my BIG honey-do list.  It will take a couple months to complete.  By then I hope to be actively applying and interviewing for a new job.  Since I have a few minutes, I plan to occasionally post a blog on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment