Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Beginning Week Two

Week one felt like a vacation week.  Except Sunday evening. Sunday evening is the true beginning of the work week. Even before the weekend was finished, my thoughts would return to the stress and struggles of the week ahead. Not this week. That was nice. 
On Monday I attended an orientation for a job search service I am entitled to as part of the separation package. The first survey question they asked participants was how long had it been since we last searched for a job. Answer selections started at 1 year, 2-5 years, etc.  They didn't have an answer for >30 years, so I selected "18 years or more". I guess that I have been fortunate. 
The following discussion exposed the dichotomy of my situation. I have manager skills and experience. I don't want my next job to include cube life. The trick of finding a job that I want to do will be selling myself as an experienced and capable manager for a position that will allow me to be active and not desk-bound. I am having trouble imagining that job.
Task one will be developing a new resume. I have maintained my resume during my entire career, but a recent review was disappointing. It screams "I want to be a mid-level manager for a Fortune 50-500 company" again.  I don't.
After the new resume is ready, my networking will begin. Fortunately I know a few executives in large companies. The job search consultant claims that nearly 80% of jobs are found through networking, so I might as well start there.
I am really enjoying the first week+ of my unemployment. So much that I wonder where I could find a job repairing decks, fixing power washers, painting walls, landscaping, vacuuming, preparing dinner, and all the other tasks that I have occupied myself with so far. 

1 comment: