Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Center of the Political Universe

Kansas and Missouri became the center of the political universe yesterday.  So much so, that NBC spent the first 11 minutes reporting 2 stories during their nightly news.  It was really incredible when considering what they reported.

First, Kevin Yoder, a tea party conservative from the house district where I once lived, was reported by the Politico to have skinny dipped in the Sea of Galilee a year ago.  Second, Todd Akin, a conservative running to unseat Claire McCaskill in the Missouri Senate race, informed us again that he is pro-life even in the case of rape, and that he is ignorant of women's physiology.  Let's break these scandals down.

Kevin Yoder is now one of billions of people who have skinny dipped in their life.  I suspect that a large number of these skinny dippers skinny dipped in the Sea of Galilee.  Yoder profusely apologized and admitted that congressmen should be held to a higher standard.  "I feel incredibly remorseful that I have caused embarrassment to my constituents and I have caused folks who believe in me to be disappointed.  The gravity of the situation and the actions I've taken are not lost on me, and I feel certainly regret at what has occurred. Part of the reason I made that decision at that moment was there was really nobody in the vicinity who could see me, I dove in, hopped right back out, put my clothes on and, regardless, that was still not the behavior people expected out of their congressman."  The Kansas Democrat Party leader is calling for his resignation.

Todd Akin believes that life begins at conception and that even in the case of rape, a child's life must be protected.  Pro-lifer's will sometimes disagree on this point, but Akin is by no means the only politician to hold that belief.  Akin has articulated the position before, and remains consistent.  His sin was saying "legitimate rape" instead of "forcible rape".  He also claimed that a woman's body could avoid conception in the case of rape.  For the unfortunate gaff followed by a very stupid statement, Akin has also apologized repeatedly: "Rape is an evil act. I used the wrong words in the wrong way, and for that I apologize. The fact is, rape can lead to pregnancy. The truth is, rape has many victims. The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold. I ask for your forgiveness,"

We can conclude that both were stupid and both seem contrite. What we can also learn for these two events is that when a republican screws up, they apologize.  History tells us that when a democrat screws up, they lie, stonewall, obfuscate, and very rarely apologize.  You don't need to look back much farther that Anthony Wiener.  Or Joe Biden.  Or Charlie Rangel.  Or Bill Clinton.  Akin's and Yoder's crimes are misdemeanors when compared with these felonies.

Of the two "scandals", only the Akin issue is newsworthy because it may turn the election in Missouri - not because of his words.  Akin had a double-digit lead over McCaskill in the polls, but that may change.  I would hope that Akin would decide quickly if he can still beat McCaskill and withdraw if he cannot.  The majority control of the Senate could be at stake, and with Obamacare set to take effect in 2013, conservatives must win control of the Senate.

Yesterday, NBC News again diverted attention from a failed presidency.  Otherwise, they might have asked Obama why he chose yesterday to hold a press conference - the first in over 2 months.  A press conference he used to get his whacks in on Akin and attempt to tie Akin to Romney-Ryan.  NBC is guilty of Obama-favorable reporting.


No comments:

Post a Comment