Friday, August 17, 2012

1969

Enough of the political blogs for now.  There are just over 80 days until the election, and there will be plenty of foolishness to comment on during that time.  Today I want to reflect on a few personal memories that were brought to mind.  Last night around 9:30, as -T and I were winding down for the day, I was channel surfing as I waited for the late news to come on.  I came across the movie Woodstock - 3 Days of Peace and Music.  I had seen parts of the movie before, but on this occasion  I was seeing a portion that I hadn't.  I was hooked.

The performances were interesting, but what really grabbed my attention were the people - specifically the interviews with concert goers, local residents, police, and even the porta-potti cleaner.  It was a snapshot of a momentous time - the end of a calamitous year of significant events.  It may have been my awakening to a world outside of the 4 walls at 6621 Switzer Lane.

There were certainly events before 1969 that stuck in my memory.  The Vietnam war began in 1961, and the news became a constant reminder of the price paid in human lives.  I remember hearing of the weekly enemy "body count" and comparing it to the American lives lost.  I wondered if I too would be sent to Vietnam before the war was over.

I distinctly remember the day in 1963 when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas.  A television was rolled into our classroom so that we could watch the news reports.  Also remember was the murder of Kennedy's accused assassin the following evening on live television.  Two murders caught on camera on two successive days.

I vaguely remember the Six-Day War in the Middle East that began on June 5th, 1965.  We cheered as Israel kicked some serious Arabic butt.  It was in stark contrast to the Vietnam war that had turned into a quagmire for America.

The Civil Rights movement in America also comes to mind.  I watched as blacks were routinely water cannoned or beaten during peaceful protests.  Murders and lynchings would make the news reports, as would riots and bombings.

But in early April, 1968 a 16 month stretch began that has since had no equal.  I believe the only comparisons to this period would be the 1945 and the American entry into World War II, and 1865 as the Civil War ended followed by Lincoln's assassination only a few days later.  


Martin Luther King was assassinated on April 4th, 1968.  While at the time it seemed as the Civil Rights movement had lost, King's death may well have been the catalyst that brought about racial equality. 

Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated on June 6th, 1968, just two months later.  Assassination of high profile or political figures was becoming commonplace.  The middle brother of the Kennedy clan had met the same fate as his older brother. Just over a month later, on July 18, 1969, little brother Senator Edward Kennedy leaves the scene of a fatal accident. Mary Jo Kopechne. the lone passenger in his car died and so did Kennedy's hopes of ever becoming President.

Two days later on July 20, 1969, America landed on the moon.  On that clear summer night I remember staring at a nearly full moon knowing that countrymen were, at that time, walking along its surface.  An earlier Apollo mission had cost the lives of 3 astronauts.  Later missions would end in success or failure, but this mission was the milestone of American accomplishment.  After giving them a head start, we had beaten the Russians to the moon. 

On August 9, 1969, the Charles Manson "family" murdered Sharon Tate and several others.  A week later,  Woodstock was the headlines in every paper and the video on the nightly newscast.  Woodstock effectively ended the turbulent era of the 1960's and a long series of significant events.

The 60's were followed by near equally significant decade.  Students were gunned down by police on the campus of Kent State University.  Peace with honor in Vietnam became a stinging loss.  American pulled out of Vietnam with tail between its legs.  A president covered up a two-bit burglary and ended up resigning in dishonor.  American celebrated its 200th birthday.  The reverend Jim Jones convinced 900 followers to commit mass suicide by drinking cyanide laced kool-aid.

But looking back, 1969 was the single year that stands our in my memory.  That year made an impression on me, a 13 year old boy.  The world was crazy, the world was cool.  Woodstock was the bookend of that time.







5 comments:

  1. Flip Flops were cool then as well. Still are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, in 1969 flip flops were only worn to the swimming pool. I didn't wear them because, back then, I was cool.

      Delete
    2. In 1969, cool was wide bell bottoms and high platform heels. I was cool.

      Delete
  2. I see a theme here....

    Key word, WAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the 1970's cool WAS white tennis shoes with white knee-high socks. I WAS cool then too. Stayed that way into the 1990's.

    ReplyDelete